Chapter 020

The stars in the night sky shone brightly, twinkling as they provided warmth to the otherwise dark and depressing sky

The stars in the night sky shone brightly, twinkling as they provided warmth to the otherwise dark and depressing sky. Beomgyu releases a small sigh, pulling his knees closer to his chest as he stargazed on Ryujin's small balcony.

He looks over to Ryujin who sits on the balcony floor next to him, her eyes looking up to the stars as well. Beomgyu smiles lightly, his tears long dried.

"We should go in soon, it's really cold out." Ryujin hums, a slight shiver running down her spine. Beomgyu nods in response, scooching closer over to Ryujin to provide more warmth. Ryujin lets out a small laugh, pulling Beomgyu closer before she laces her fingers with his.

Beomgyu is silent as she pulls their hands into her lap, her thumb grazing the back of his palm comfortingly. He lets out a short chuckle, fixing his position before looking back up at the stars.

"How are you planning on spending Christmas?" Beomgyu asks to break the silence, starting to count the stars in his head as he waited for Ryujin's response.

"They're giving us a small break, but I don't have any plans yet."
"Oh...if you're up for it, you could come with me to go to Eunbi's and Mark's place. They invited me over for Christmas, and said they'd like you to come too,"
"That's nice of them. Alright, I'll make sure to go then."
"Great,"

The duo fell into a comfortable silence, taking the opportunity to watch the stars and sink into their own thoughts.

"Thank you, for today. I guess Eunbi and Mark told you that my mom's death anniversary is today," Beomgyu mumbled. Ryujin hummed in response, assuring him it was no big deal.

"And I didn't cry because your kimchi jjigae looked abysmal,"
"Wow, that sounds a little personal,"

Ryujin nudged Beomgyu, making him break into a small laugh which lead to her chuckling along with him. Beomgyu shook his head, releasing a sigh as a smile grazed his lips.

"I guess it's been a long time since someone cooked for me. It felt nice for once to feel taken care of. And it meant a lot coming from you too, especially since you're an athlete and everything,"

Ryujin offers the boy an assuring smile, their eyes meeting. She shakes her head before looking back up into the sky. Beomgyu does the same so he doesn't get caught staring at Ryujin.

"I mean, it's nice to know that you're comfortable being vulnerable around me. You've always had this cheerful facade, and I know it's hard keeping up the personality when you're already burning out. You don't have to force yourself to be the one to brighten my mood when you're with me. Just you here with me, it makes me happy."

A coat of deep red tints Beomgyu's cheeks as he turns to Ryujin in surprise. She offers him a dreamy smile, leaning in to rest her head on his shoulder. He turns back to the front, still processing Ryujin's words.

A smile creeps up on his lips as he rests his head on top of hers, his heart warming at Ryujin's words.

"You make me happy too," Beomgyu whispers, and he feels Ryujin's chuckle bounce off his shoulder. He turns to her in surprise, a grin grazing his lips when she quickly pulls away.