Chapter 018

Ryujin checks her makeup for the umpteenth time, looking into her compact mirror as she paces around the front door nervously

Ryujin checks her makeup for the umpteenth time, looking into her compact mirror as she paces around the front door nervously. She stops fidgeting, making eye contact with herself in the mirror before taking in a deep breath.

She puts her compact mirror back into her purse, brushing her outfit before she lets out a huff, raising her hand to press on the doorbell. She steps back, her eyes roaming around as she waits for the door to be answered.

She locks eyes with her younger sister who had opened the door, immediately smiling seeing the familiar sparkle in her eyes. She lets out a soft chuckle when Yuna tackles her into a hug, stroking her hair as she hugs her back.

"Mom is putting Jihun to sleep. Come in," Yuna grins as she takes Ryujin's arm, pulling her into the house before closing the door behind her. Ryujin looks around the unfamiliar house, only having been here once before.

"Is our stepdad home?" Ryujin asks, looking over to see Yuna shake her head. Ryujin follows Yuna as she walks into the living room, sitting down next to her as they wait for their mother to come down.

"How are you?" Ryujin hums as she pats Yuna's thigh. Yuna gives her a weak smile, throwing her head back as she lets out a yawn. Ryujin chuckles at the younger girl, shaking her head.

"No one told me university was THIS hard. Well, Kai's definitely got it worse though. Can't believe he went into law. Imagine him working for our stepdad," Yuna shudders, and the two break out into small laughter.

"Everything going well with you and Kai? When am I going to meet him?" Ryujin raises an eyebrow, giving Yuna a pointed look. Yuna nudges Ryujin lightly, her cheeks painting a small red as she got flustered.

"You can meet him soon. And everything's going well. I can't believe we've been together for 8 months already, that's so long." Yuna huffs before she breaks into a small smile at the thought of him. Ryujin nudged her, a teasing smile playing on her lips.

"Hey! How about you? Are you sure you haven't been talking to anyone since we last met each other?" Yuna narrows her eyes, glaring at Ryujin. Ryujin brushes it off with a natural laugh, but before she's forced to answer the question, they're mother walks into the room.

"Hi Ryujin. Let's go eat, hm?" Both Ryujin and Yuna look up from their conversation when their mother gives them a small smile, gesturing to the dining table. Ryujin returns the smile, getting up before walking over to the dining table with Yuna.

Conversation was barely made as everyone focused on their food, the clanking of utensils against the plate being the only noise. It was safe to say that the atmosphere was definitely awkward. The last time Ryujin and Jimin met, they had gotten into a fight. If it weren't for Yuna being their middle man, this dinner wouldn't be possible.

Ryujin pokes at her food, already feeling bored. She didn't like to think that this was a waste of time, it was an awful thought to have when you were with family. But Ryujin grew up feeling lonely and distant when she was with family, so it wasn't a thought she could easily get rid of.