Chapter 11 - opening up

Jaxon's POV

"Alpha..." she says while pulling away. I'm not mad at her. I understand.

"What's wrong Esme" I ask curiously.

"I'm so sorry Alpha. I didn't mean to do that"

I smile back at her and I push my luck by pulling her closer to me and hugging her. She's stiff at first. I don't think she's ever done this before.

"I don't want you to feel the need to apologise to me okay? Don't worry about how I'd react or anything because it's nice to feel like you're happy to be around me. I'm one step closer to you opening up a little bit more" I tell her with certainty in my eyes. I can't see it but I know it I can feel it.

I let go of her so she knows that she doesn't need to do anything she doesn't want. She pulls away and before I get to ask her if she wants to sit on the bed with me, she's sitting back on the floor. I need to know what she's on the floor instead of the bed.

"Esme why are you sitting on the floor instead of the bed?" I come across as nosey but I'm just curious.

"Comfier for me I guess" she says while looking away.

We've been here all day and she's barely spoken since the hug this afternoon.

"I've got some work I need to get done but I will be right back after okay" I say it like it's a question but it's really not.

"Okay," she says back to me.

I nip to my office and see what needs to be done and Charlie tells me that it's mainly computer stuff and that Kyle had requested all the files regarding Esme and Finley.

"So no one actually needs to see or speak to me today it's all paperwork and laptop work?" I ask. If that's the case then I can take all my work back to Esme's room and start there"

"Yes, Alpha," Charlie says.

"God you two are as bad as each other. Enough with the alpha already" I say laughing.

"Eye eye captain," Charlie says back. "How are they?"

"Finley's good I believe. He needed a bit of a break and I couldn't fault him, the life he has only ever known has been replaced by a life they only dreamed of it's a huge change for him as well. Esme is the same, Natalie tried to bring her some clothes earlier and she had an anxiety attack and she feels more comfortable sitting on the floor as well. She managed to have a bath and she has spoken to me briefly but it might take a little while for her to officially open up and start to trust people" I tell him. I don't keep anything from him nor Hunter as I trust them to keep whatever I tell them to themselves.

"Take your stuff to her then and just take it easy for today. Have a day off alright I've got it under control here just let me know when you want food and I'll send it up" he's a great brother. He's the oldest but he's still a great brother.

I approached Esme's room to find her still sitting on the floor. I had been gone about half an hour and she was still where I left her. I placed all my stuff on her bed and I asked if she wanted to join me on the bed.

she doesn't say anything she just stands up and sits on the edge of the bed.

"What are you working on?" She asks me.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked that," she said almost instantly. I chuckle and she looks puzzled.

"It's okay. It's just the reports from the last 2 months that's what I'm working on. It's known as Bullshit."

She starts laughing and I find myself staring at her for a long time it's not until she pokes me that I realise I was staring at her.

"Are you okay?" She asks me.

"Yeah, sweetheart I'm fine. I was mesmerised by your laugh. It's cute."

She's blushing and It's so cute.

"Have you shifted yet?" I ask her because as far as I'm aware she hasn't yet.

"No. My wolf can't do it yet I'm too weak"

"You're not weak. You just lack energy that's all and I think that once you get that energy back your wolf will be able to help your shift"

"I'm scared about doing it."

" Why don't you see if Finn will shift with you? Someone you trust and you're close to. Maybe he would be honoured to"

"Yeah, I might do. I want to try this new life you know. I'm not always like this"

"Like what princess"

"Sad. There are times that even when me and Finn have no food or water we both laugh and we enjoy each other's company. I'm not always terrified of people. Usually, I can get along well with people it's just men, No offence"

"Don't worry about it. I sent a link through the pack telling them to give you space and if you need anything to let me know so I can tell your brother or even I can tell you. I want to look after you Esme"

"Thank you Alp...Jaxon"

"We will work on that," he says while laughing.

"You've got a good laugh. It's nice" I tell him with a half-hearted smile.

I didn't notice that I had started to fall asleep until I felt an arm around my back and I was being pulled into a solid but comforting chest. I look up and I see Jaxon semi-lying down while holding on to me with his eyes fixed on mine.

"I didn't mean to wake you up. You just didn't look comfy that's all"

"It's okay. I like it."

"What time is it?" I ask. Hoping it's not still too early. I think I need sleep. More sleep if that's even possible.

"It's 7:30 pm. You missed tea. Would you like anything"

I shake my head but remember I need to talk. "No Thankyou I'm okay. I'm too tired for food. I'm sorry"

"It's okay don't apologise you get some sleep" he's a comforter. He's a protector and he's my protector.

My mate...