Chapter 9

ZANOKUHLE
Chapter 9

I had a look around the place and I like it, he asked me if I do and if I will be comfortable in it and I told him that I will be comfortable with it so far. We left my things before we left the place and I was seated next to him looking outside of the window while he is driving. I have never went this long without having  a phone and the phone that I had was a phone that Nomfundo used to use. I was happy when I got a phone but now that is gone for me and I don’t know when I will ever get one.
“What do people do at the work place you work in?”, I turn and look at him as I am waiting for an answer.
“Different things, it’s an eatery during the day and club at night.”
“Like?”
“Being a waiter and serving people, chefs, bartenders, event organizers, manager to count a few people”
“What do you do?”
“I oversee everything”, he mentions and takes a glimpse off me and I look at him.
“Mmmh nice”
His phone rings and I turn away from him and continue looking outside the car and the conversation he has over the phone with whomever sounds very short but left in an intense note. The drive to his work place and I have vividly been here before with Tusani though. He parks the car and I look outside the car and all around before I unbuckle my belt. Someone opens the door on my side and I look there and there he is. He lets out his hand to help me off his car and I take it.
“When did you get out of the car quickly?”, I ask.
He puts me down and closes the door behind me.
“I am always quick”, he says and lets out a little smile.
A person cannot be that quick, I shake my head and he looks at me.
“Come”, he mentions and let’s out his hand and I look at it then him before I put my palm on his and our hands lock before he leads the way going inside.
I look around as we enter and move around the area, there are a few people here and there too. He go through and end up going up some stairs once we reach a flight of stairs and we climb them until we get to the top. We finally end up in an office and there and he let’s me sit down on the big chair in the room behind the table.
“This is my office, I am here at most times”, he mentions.
“This is your seat?”, he nods his head and takes out his phone.
“I will ask the chef to make some breakfast, what would you like to eat?”
“Anything?”
“Anything you like Zano”, I smile and think about what I would like to eat today.
“I will just have a full breakfast and some apple juice please”
“Okay, I am coming back okay?”, I nod my head and he turns and walks out of the room and I spin the chair around and look around the room too.
It feels nice sitting here but there is nothing interesting to look at here than just staring at the furniture in here. After some time he comes back and closes the door behind him and he pulls the chair opposite the table and me.
“You will meet your driver soon”, he mentions.
“Will I have to see him everyday?”
“No, only when you want to go somewhere”, he says and I nod my head.
We sit together for some time then the food comes in and I am happy, I am hungry and I didn’t have much time to eat something this morning. The two people leave after bringing in the food and he gives me my food and I thank him and have my meal when I get it. It is not quiet frequent for me to actually eat food cooked by someone who is not me so this tastes nice and I like it too. Well you cannot go that much wrong with cooking breakfast unless you burn it. I have a sip of my drink and this man has not touched his food yet instead he is looking at me.
I look at him too and he doesn’t say anything. He likes looking at me too much that I have concluded.
“You look at me a lot”, I say and continue eating my food.
He doesn’t say anything and I don’t say anything further than what I had mentioned already. I eat my food and finish it some of it but the toast is left untouched. It is too hard for my liking and I don’t really like toast that much, I hardly have it.
“I am full”, I mention and rest my body on the chair and breathe in and out.
Too full if you ask me and this man hasn’t touched his meal instead he went onto his phone for a few seconds and at other times he would look at me while I am eating.
He now starts with touching his meal by having a sip of his drink before he goes onto what is on his plate.
“You didn’t touch the toast”, he mentions.
“I don’t like how hard it is”, I say and he nods his head.
“I will tell the chef that next time he shouldn’t prepare toast at all for you”
“Okay”, I sigh and close my eyes for a moment.
I wait for him to finish while I am resting my eyes and he tells me that since I will not be in the kitchen and cooking for him today then I would be his assistant and help him with work for the day. I am nervous.
We start with the working and he tells me about things that I do not understand while we are doing the work. For a moment I get it and for a moment I feel like I am smart too though I know that I am not but for that glimpse moment I feel like I am.
I get seated on the floor when I got tasked to put stock invoices together from the beginning of this year up until the month we are in and I do so. I enjoy sitting on the floor and it makes me feel comfortable too.
We hear a bit of commotion and Bhungane gets off his chair and goes towards the door and opens it coming face to face with some man.
“Sir there is a man causing havoc to see you”, the man says and looks at me and then Bhungane.
“Stand outside the door and make sure she is okay. I will be back Zano”, I nod my head.
“When I am finished here what should I do?”
“You can rest  a bit, I will come back right now”, I nod my head and he walks out and the man closes the door after he leaves and I carry on with my work.
The commotion dies down a bit from that moment.