Getting kidnapped sucks. But then you fall in love.

I decided to give Stellar a hard time at dinner. The diary was giving me a very bad look on Stellar. It was as if there was a part of him I’d never even knew. Heartless. He’d hid it so well.

Stellar sat across from me at the table as I ate the chicken. It was a bittersweet silence and I ate meaninglessly.

“Well?” Stellar asked.

“Well what?”

“Aren’t you going to tell me how bad the chicken tastes or something?”

“No, the chickens fine” I said dully.

“Well then what’s wrong with you? Why aren’t you complaining by now about something?”

“I’m not some brat” I said. “I’m just tired”

“Tell me the truth” Stellar said.

“There’s nothing to tell” I mumbled.

“Really? Then you don’t mind if I look you in the eyes then?”

“I’m eating” I said.

“And you’re finished” He got up and threw my plate away.

Then he sat back down and reached across the table and grabbed my arms. His red eyes slid up into mine and settled there.

I was going to lose it then. I swore I was going to. How the hell was he doing it? Making me feel so crazy inside? Building up until finally I would burst with that energy he so craved?

“Stellar-“ I said. “Stop it. Whatever you’re doing, just stop”

“I’m not doing anything” Stellar said. “That’s all you”

“I don’t think so” I said. “And if you really want to know the truth, I’m mad at you”

“Why?”

“I’m just another girl Stellar. June was first and you guys fell in love. And then you killed her. But now you’re on to me. And guess what? I don’t give a damn about you”

“That’s not the story” He said. “June died accidentally”

“How am I supposed to believe that?”

“Sometimes you just have to” Stellar said.

“I’m doubting you from now on” I said getting up. I walked out but he followed.

“Jasmine, just listen okay? I’m not this awful person you think I am. I mean it, and I want us to be friends. I want this to work out…”

“None of this fits right” I said whipping back around. “All I am is a piece of your idea. You thought it would be so smart to kidnap some human girl and leave her there and come back to her every so night to drink her blood so that you could live”

“It’s the only way that this would ever work out” He explained. “And you’re the last. Do you know how many vampires want to find you? And drain your blood into some container and kill you?”

“That’s ridiculous” I said. “There’s no way…” But I was starting to shake with the fear. I turned back around and walked into the living room and sat down at the couch.

“Jasmine” He said walking in. “I’m sorry”

“It doesn’t matter” I said. “I’m not going to forgive you for this”

He got up and left to give me my space. The only right thing he’d done tonight. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up in the middle of the night. A dark blue and red plaid blanket was on me and across the room an air conditioner was on. Stellar walked in and turned the air conditioner up.

He didn’t notice that I was awake.

“Stellar” I said. He turned around.

“You’re up?” He asked walking over.

“Yeah. I woke up” I said.

“Another nightmare?”

“No, it was a good dream” He sat down on the couch.

“Well then, what was it about?”

“It was about you and me in a beach house in Ireland and we were kissing on the back patio, but then a tsunami hit and it was weird because we were in Ireland and then the waves rose up and crashed down onto us and your arms were outstretched towards mine and you were being pulled away from me and your fingers slipped from mine as you were pulled back to the ocean. Then arms wrapped around me and pulled me back into the beach house only it was dark and all the lights were turned off, and I heard a scream”

“That’s a bad dream” He said.

“It was good in the beginning though”

“It didn’t bother you this time?”

“No, because I woke up and saw you were alive”

He leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. “Goodnight” He said getting up. He left.

I woke up to sunlight. It streamed across the room and I got a sudden déjà vu as I was laying on the couch with the same blanket only Stellar must have put it on me while I’d been sleeping.

I got up and walked into the kitchen to find Stellar cooking breakfast.

“What are you making?” I asked.

“Pancakes” He said. “Is that okay?”

“Sure” I sat down at the table. “You don’t have work today?”

He shook his head. “It’s just you and me”

“Great” I said sarcastically. “You know, I had this really weird-“

More déjà vu.

“Weird what?” He asked.

“Never mind”

“You said that before. Should I be concerned?”

“No” I said.

“Uh huh” He said.

“Um, are you going to be doing taxes again?”

“I already did them”

“Oh right. Did you ever hear about what Hutch did?”

He nodded. “Can’t say I’m too happy about it” He said. “But it’s fine because Delancy isn’t coming back over again. Nor is Gretchen or Hutch”

“It was one thing” I said. “Delancy and Gretchen saved me, you know”

“I know” Stellar said as he walked over and set the pancake down. “But it was still their fault for bringing a half vampire over. Also since she knows I said no guests”

I ate the pancake. I overanalyzed what we might be doing today. Did Stellar have something in mind? Or was it care free today? I knew I’d find that out. And if I said that I had a weird- one more time I knew Stellar would make me admit about the dreams and something would corrupt there. Weren’t kidnappers supposed to be deathly and frightening? Not taunting and hesitant. And surely not hot nor wonderful… crap…