"Half an hour," Mother called out in the darkness. "The time allocated for finding the island port is over."

"Half an hour is hardly enough," I grumbled.

The boat moved with speed, knocking me off the seat. The water that sloshed around the sides of the boat gave way to the sand. I sat up, faced with a glowering old woman.

"It should take a minute at most." she snapped harshly. "You have been given more than necessary, and I have been far too lenient. Go home and wait for your creator. He will be sent to you, and pray that you learn faster than you have in the past because my patience has worn thin."

Instead of shuffling away, Mother disappeared. Anzide helped me stand up.

"Sorry," he murmured.

"For what?"

"I know that she shielded me. She said it was for your own good and that I had to accept that this was how it had to be."

"It's not your fault. You tried to teach me. Why did she hide you?"

"Because you need to learn to find this port without me as your beacon. What if you come here without me?"

"I won't."

Anzide frowned at me as if to say that it was foolish to think that he'd always be by my side. I'd like to think that he would be.

"Come on, let's go home and warn everyone that we're about to get a visitor."

We reappeared on the little cushions in our mediation area.

"What do you think about that?"

I shrugged as I stood.

"Conflicted. He killed my mother, but a part of me wants to know what he's like."

"Hoping for a jerk so that you feel okay when he leaves?"

"Yeah, maybe."

Anzide gave me an uneasy smile, and it was then that I knew that my father was not a jerk. I had a feeling that this was not going to be what I expected it to be.

Everyone was seated in the outdoor setting when we emerged. Hope was on their faces, but that soon changed when faced with my disappointment.

"So, be prepared to meet my father. They're sending him here to teach me."

"I know that you don't agree with us, but it is for the best." Niko offered.

I nodded.

Anzide shifted to face the internal door, which was the only thing that stopped a visitor from seeing Niko.

"We have company."

Well, that was fast. I'm sure Mother had him waiting in the portal, expecting that I'd fail.

Brad stood and walked through the door. I stood behind it, listening to what was going on.

"Henry,"

"Uh, hey Brad. There's a guy out here that says he's here to see Evelyn. Says he's her dad."

It sounded almost as if he was worried that this was not a good situation. Maybe he thought that I lived with Brad for a reason and was now concerned that he might have to call Larry to intervene.

"Yeah, it's okay. Send him in."

I looked at Anzide. He gave me a warm smile that I guess was his way of reassuring me. My stomach was turning itself over, making life difficult for me.

"Is it him? Is this really my father or another imposter?"

"Now that we know the truth about you, we can see everything. We are no longer blinded by the belief that you're a landbound immortal."

Brad appeared at the doorway, holding back the scrap of material that was more of an annoyance than a shield.

"Be brave and say hello. Ask him questions and learn the truth, but do not assume that you know it. There are only two people who can tell you what went on between your parents, one is dead, and the other is just a few steps away. Would you like me to go with you?"

I nodded. Brad stepped aside, holding the material up for me to pass through. Anzide was a step behind, mostly because I'd taken his hand and would not let go.

A tall man stood in the middle of the area, dressed in slacks and a skivvy. It was a black-on-black combination that made his fair skin and auburn hair stand out. He smiled, but it was reserved, probably full of fear that I'd react harshly.

"Hello, Evelyn. I am Carsten, your father."

I smiled weakly as my hello escaped. Carsten turned his attention to Anzide, and with a nod, he continued to Brad.

"You must be Bradley. Nancy talked about you a lot. Thank you for taking care of Evelyn after Nancy's passing."

"Uh yeah, no problem."

"I understand that this is not an easy situation, Evelyn, but those who manage the portal have ruled that you must learn how to navigate it efficiently. I wanted to honor your request that I stay out of your life, but they insisted that it was not open for negotiation. With that in mind, I suggest that we get the education done quickly, and then I can leave you to continue with your life without my interference."

Brad turned to look at me. His eyebrows raised, and his eyes widened. The wordless message that I should maybe rethink that idea and try again.

"I've already been to the portal today, and I'm weak from it."

Carsten nodded quietly.

"Maybe we can talk."

"You have questions?"

I nodded. Yes, I had questions. Maybe he had the answers.

Brad and Anzide left us, returning to the area behind the wall. I gestured to the lounges.

"This is quite a setup you've got here."

"Newly installed. We've got issues,"

"Evelyn," Carsten interrupted. "Forgive me, but when whispers began to grow in the portal surrounds, I made a few inquiries."

"Whispers?"

"The unknown entity that ordered the Nephilim around as if she were the one that controlled them. The one that barked orders at them, stood her ground, flattened the very same ground, and unfortunately, the house as well. The Nephilim are a stubborn bunch, and I'd suggested that I might be the father of this person but they claimed to have the right person, so I was sent on my way. I happened to cross paths with someone that you might know—Renuge. He said that he's never met anyone quite like you and that in many ways, he was reminded of me."

Carsten smiled as he looked at the shock on my face.

"Mother said something like that yesterday."

"Well, of course she would. She knows her own child."

"What?"

"You weren't told? That happens quite a lot, but Mother is actually my mother and your grandmother. The portal is full of beings that are related to or know someone, somewhere in some roundabout way. It is widely believed that at some point in the distant future, we will hit the limit, and it will become necessary to seek out partners from other sources. I think that is why they were so lenient on you."

"And not my people skills?"

Carsten smiled. I had to admit he was easy to talk to.

"So, you made inquiries?"

"Yes. I knew you existed, but I didn't know where you were. It is extremely difficult to find an underaged being regardless of their species. Your mother was determined to hide, though I don't know her reasons."

"Drakkus."

"No, not in that respect."

Carsten inhaled deeply, slowly letting the air out.

"I will take you back to the beginning so that you understand everything. Are you ready to hear about the past, Evelyn?"