•Chapter 36•

Trelawny, JA||Thursday||4:50 P.M

D'Andre Cunningham

Miss Gee just come in from market and mi nuh know why she nuh waah go sleep.

Mi nuh like how she look, she a move kinda slow as well.

From yesterday she look sick but she claim she alright.

Come in from school and she wasn't here, then me hear Uncle Dan a call me from the grill say she a come up inna taxi from market.

Mi just know she never tell anybody she a go anywhere, mi keys inna the house she cuda drive or ask someone to drive her.

I'm standing inside the kitchen, watching as she set the pot on the stove, turning it on.

She took out the meat I seasoned last night while she was asleep.

Mi try fi clean up, cut up and season any meats she have so it easier fi she cook.

"Yuh do yuh homework already Dre?" Grandma asks turning her attention to me.

"Yeah" I answer, "yuh nuh plan fi rest?".

"After mi finish cook, weh yuh want with the chicken?".

"Food, ground food"

"Okay, come peel the stuff or yuh tired?"

"School me a come from, not the site"

After putting the pot on the stove, I wait until it boils to peel the food.

End up send her go lay down so me can finish cook, when she wake me give her the dinner.

I walk into my room to get my phone, Yanique was hanging off the bed with it in her hands.

She already changed her uniform and throw it in the laundry basket, we don't have any classes tomorrow and I'm taking her out.

"Why yuh laying like that?" I ask catching her off guard.

"Nothing" she replies getting up to sit, "yuh grandma okay?".

"Yeah, she a sleep"

"She's coming with us tomorrow?"

"Yes, mi affi go pick out sumn fi she wear though", I open my laptop and put in my password.

Nuh look like she a give me back me phone fi now.

She and Tali a watch waah show from wah day, two a dem always a watch and a discuss something, no matter the hours a night dem up a discuss show.

Going into WhatsApp I click on my father's contact, he sent me a shipping address to collect some clothes he bought for me.

Every week this man buy clothes.

Mi still have clothes me no wear yet and him still a send more.

Yanique live inna the shirt dem anyway, at least she get fi wear dem.

Remember fi tell him bout Miss Gee.

Oh yes.

I video call him while putting my Air Pods in, looking at myself in the screen before he picks up.

"King", he was getting ready to go somewhere, "wahm?".

He tucked his gun in his waist then put his jacket on.

"Evening", affi be polite to him, "Miss Gee look sick".

"Weh yuh mean?"

"She go market today by herself, she come in likkle bit after me and start cook, me did affi send her go lay down, her eyes dem weak and she look pale, from yesterday me a realize she look a way"