스위트홈 -3 (Sweet Home -3)

Pt. 3: Monsters

The difference between human and humanoid monsters is the minimum sense of humanity the former kind possess. Even amidst life and death, the residents of Green Home apartment living in the premises of a ground floor convenience store chose to save a life. Park Gunwook who had suffered from a severe injury on his right shoulder fell terribly ill overnight. The untreated wound caused so much pain that his temperature rose to a very high degree. He was barely conscious, eyes fluttering in fear. He was hurting, a lot. Without proper antibiotics he would probably not last very long.

The store only had basic medicine. Therefore, the only way to bring cure to the dying young man would be to go out in the unknown. The living residents did not lack bravery. So, three of them decided to head out, using the only pickup van available in the garage, the key to which was found in the guard room.

Hanbin, Jiwoong and Gyuvin were the three brave people deciding to venture outside. Their primary goal was to collect medication, being an ex medical student, Hanbin knew it to some extent. Apart from this, other concerns were food, fuel, hardware supplies and ammo- since Jiwoong basically possessed an empty gun by then.

Their preparation wasn't light, since they took flammables, ignition tools, long thick sticks, knives and the gun too. Fire was actually effective, because they successfully walked towards the garage, then loaded the van with necessary things. As goodbyes, Jiwoong gave his tearful boyfriend a warm hug, and a kiss on the lips. Matthew didn't want his man to go out in God knows what, but he alos knew, if anyone's suited for the journey the best, it's Kim Jiwoong. He tried not to make a scene, therefore only cried in Jiwoong's shoulder, unbeknownst to anyone. Yujin wasn't as accepting. He didn't like that Gyuvin volunteered to endanger his life. He didn't understand- there were other people, probably more capable. Why must his brother risk his life a second time? Gyuvin had to convince him again and again that he would be fine. He was going with good people. Ricky stood by their side, quietly watching them. There was an ugly long cut on his face, as much as it hurt him physically, mentally, to him, it was hellish. No one but Gyuvin understood, hence he took the bold step of going out to look for any way to help the guy he liked. He didn't get to hug Ricky, because they didn't have a label.

Hanbin had no one to say his goodbyes to, or so he thought. So he went to check if the van was in good driving condition. That's when a visitor interrupted him.

"Be careful." Zhang Hao said, standing next to the vehicle. Hanbin smiled at him, "That's all?"

"Mm." Hao said.

"They are making their last ment though." Hanbin pointed at the small gathering of farewell in case anything happens to any of them. Zhang Hao have him a small smile in return, saying, "You'll come back. I know that."

Maybe that was Hao's way of saying 'Don't die on us'. The younger nodded at him, continuing doing his work. Hao watched him until the others arrived.

"Everything set?" Jiwoong asked, Hanbin confirmed with a thumbs up. Both Jiwoong and Gyuvin got on the back of the pickup next, keeping necessary equipments close by. The others wished them luck as the garage door opened and the engine got to work; to set out in the outside world after a long day of confinement. It was early noon, but the sky was cast in orange. The destruction in the air made it look like doomsday had already fallen on earth. Yet, in the heart of uncertainty, three brave men stepped in to serve their own purposes.

(A/N- 'Warrior' by Imagine Dragons starts playing next)

They saw the first monster sooner than expected. Right outside the apartment building sat the very first one they encountered, the tall monster with a long tentacle in place of its tongue. It was sitting on a big construction pipe, its tentacle attached to an unlucky human being.