Anzide shifted to face me, distress rippling through his features.

"Evie?"

"The ring," I whispered.

Then I turned to the path. There was a lure that was enticing. The closer I got to the ring, the more the veil relented on me. It was like the witch's ring was calling me, commanding that I approached it.

"I'd rather we didn't go there."

"I know, but I just feel drawn to it."

"It could unbalance you."

"It's fine, drama queen."

Anzide huffed, following me along the path. When we reached the witches' ring, I could feel the energy.

"Do you feel that?"

"Yeah," Anzide said in wonder. "It's raw power emanating from the circle. It feels like there's a large wall around it."

His hand reached up like it was pressed to an invisible wall.

"It's never been like this."

"No,"

Anzide turned to face me again. This time there was a vast difference from his previous concern. His eyes shifted in all directions, turning to look around but never letting go of my hand. The free hand was still pressed to an invisible wall, pushing against it as if there was something physically stopping him.

"It's been used recently."

"Mardyl?"

"No. He left town not long after the incident. This," he paused, glancing back at the ring. "This was used by a woman."

"How can you tell?"

He shifted behind me, resting his hands on my shoulders.

"Close your eyes, focus on the power that you feel. Let it soak into your body and consume you. Can you feel the incantations?"

I did as Anzide suggested and let the power into me. When I actually submitted to the ring's power, the constriction changed. Now, it was like a soft veil that floated over my body, wrapping around me before slowly seeping into me. The power focused on my arms, hands, and fingers. It didn't take long before the veil changed and turned into little tendrils that emerged from my fingers. They searched. They found.

"It was a woman," I whispered, opening my eyes. "And she's still here."

"Ooh-kay. That means we're leaving."

Anzide turned me around and pushed me away from the ring. His hands on my shoulders were not as relaxing as I'd like them to be. It was the shortest walk back to the property, and I knew that Anzide had a lot to do with it. My feet probably weren't on the ground at all.

Opening the caravan door, he frowned as his head flicked. Restraining my distaste, I climbed up the metal stairs, greeted by Niko.

"You're back early. How was the walk?"

"Witchy."

The smile dropped, and Niko frowned at us.

"What does that mean?"

"Evie was drawn to the ring because it had just been used. I think that we disturbed the witch because Evie said that she found her."

"Found her?"

"Yeah," I said, sitting next to Beatrice at the dining table. "I could feel the power. Anzide said the witch was female, and he showed me how to search for the power. I searched, and I found her. Then we left because Anzide freaked out."