Pulled Out From Under Our Feet

While running back through the woods with Glenn and Daryl, they heard a gunshot that sent Parker's heart into her throat. Fear coursed through her when she didn't hear another gunshot, and for a split second, her mind wandered to the possibility that Rick was on the receiving end. Then she felt Daryl's hand pushing her forward, and when the house came into view, Parker had forced her way through the front door. 

"Rick and Shane!? Are they back?"

"No," Lori answered, not knowing why she was so panicked.

"We heard a shot," Daryl explained, subtly motioning towards her. "Thinks it was Shane and Rick."

"Maybe they found Randall?" Lori suggested.

"We found him," Daryl responded.

"Is he back in the shed?" Patricia asked.

"He was a walker," Parker responded, breathless.

"Did you find the walker that bit him?" Hershel asked.

"No, the weird thing is he wasn't bit," Glenn explained.

"His neck was broke," Daryl added.

"So he fought back?" Patricia questioned, not understanding what they were telling them.

"The thing is, Shane and Randall's tracks were right on top of each other. And Shane ain't no tracker," Daryl thought out loud. "So he didn't come up behind him. They were together."

"Could you get back out there and find Rick and Shane?" Lori pleaded, fidgeting with the ring she wore on her neck. "And find out what on earth is going on."

"You got it." Daryl nodded.

"Thank you."

"I'm going with you," Parker told him to which he just grunted with a nod. When they went out to the porch, Parker heard the moans of the walkers echoing through the fields. Even in the darkness, it wasn't difficult to see the herd approaching in the distance, hundreds and hundreds of walkers heading toward the farm. "Shit," Parker breathed, as the group joined them outside.

"Patricia, kill the lights," Hershel instructed quietly, seeing the herd.

"I'll get the guns," Andrea said, running inside.

"Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway," Glenn suggested. "Should we just go inside?"

"They wouldn't be here if that gunshot didn't go off. So whoever fired that shot basically just screwed us all over."

"Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs that I don't know about," Daryl replied to Glenn's question. "A herd that size will rip the house down."

"Carls gone," Lori gasped, running out onto the porch.

"What?" Daryl asked, spinning around as Parker's eyes widened.

"He... he was upstairs. I can't find him anymore," Lori responded.

"Maybe he's hiding," Glenn offered up the idea.

"He's supposed to be upstairs," Lori said. "I'm not leaving without my boy."

"We're not," Carol assured. "We're gonna look again. We're.. we're gonna find him." When Carol and Lori ran in to look for Carl again, Andrea returned with the bag of guns. Parker grabbed a shotgun while Maggie grabbed one for herself and Glenn.

"Maggie?" Glenn asked, confused.

"You grow up in the country, you pick up a thing or two," Maggie tossed him the gun.

"I got the number, it's no use," Daryl said.

"You can go if you want," Hershel responded, as he loaded his shotgun with rounds.