Where'd They Go?

Daryl sent Parker back to the farm before nightfall, and when she sat down for dinner and realized that Lori was missing, along with Rick and Glenn, everyone started to panic. Parker had seen Lori that morning, and when Carol asked her to go see if Daryl had seen her, she headed back across the fields. The night was a little colder than the day because when the sun hid and darkness followed in its wake the air took on a coldness that caused goosebumps to form on Parker's arms. 

She untied the flannel from around her waist and pulled it on to provide some extra warmth when she saw a small campfire burning in the distance. Daryl was sitting by the fire, and when Parker heard the rustling of leaves and started running, she closed the gap in no time. 

"We can't find Lori, and the others aren't back yet either. Apparently, Hershel left and Rick and Glenn went after him. Beth's in some weird catatonic state right now, everything has gone to shit back there." Parker said in greeting, breathing heavily.

"Yeah.. that dumb bitch must have gone off looking for them," Daryl replied bluntly.

"Hey, that 'dumb bitch' is my sister-in-law, watch your fucking mouth." Parker snapped. "What did you say before? Did she go out to look for them?"

"Yeah, she asked me to go," Daryl answered, staring into the flames. "I told her I was done being an errand boy."

"And you didn't say anything?" Parker asked, messaging her temples. "Why didn't you tell me when I was here before?" Daryl didn't say anything, so Parker crossed her arms. "Don't do this. Please." She was about to walk off but turned around angrily. "I swear to god, Daryl. If I lose anyone in my family because you didn't think to tell me anything, I'll feed you to the walkers."

"She ain't my damn problem! Go find her yourself." Daryl responded, standing up and pushing past her. Parker didn't know why he was being so direct, so cold. After their previous conversation, she assumed he would be different, but she was wrong. 

Daryl, however, knew it was wrong of him to talk to her like that, but once she left him to return to her friends, he realized that he could have gone too, but decided not to. He chose to be isolated from the group and stay away from them, but Parker didn't and Daryl was slightly... jealous, to use a better word. Parker got along with everyone because she made an effort to interact with them. Daryl was a lone wolf type, he preferred to be alone because it was easier for him that way. 

Now, however, now that he had come to accept what he felt for Parker, it was difficult for him to let go of that lonely personality. Parker looked slightly hurt when Daryl yelled at her, but she didn't say anything for a moment. When nothing was said, Parker sighed now realizing she wasn't going to get Daryl's help.

"Okay," Parker said, turning on her heel, "I'll find her myself. Thanks for the help, Daryl. Really appreciate it."

"Don't go out there," Daryl thought twice about reaching for her. "It's too dangerous."

"Someone has to," Parker snapped, turning around to face Daryl. "And if it's not you, then it's going to be me."

"It's too late. Walkers are more active at night. What happens if there's a bunch of them things and you get stuck?"

"Lori is out there! Don't you get that? Lori could be in trouble," Parker yelled frustratedly. "I have to find her. She's my family. And don't worry, I understand, 'she ain't your damn problem.' But she's my sister so it makes her mine." Daryl, for once, didn't know what to say, so he just watched as Parker walked away and disappeared into the darkness. Since joining their camp, after going there with the intention of robbing them, Parker had been the only person who had persuaded them to change their mind. 

She had welcomed him and Merle, offering them a place within her group, without asking questions with weapons drawn. She was too good for this world and Daryl had just let her go. Parker didn't think much as she ran back across the fields. She had more important things on her mind than Daryl and his bad mood. Lori was somewhere, probably hurt, maybe worse. So she made her sister-in-law her top priority. 

"She asked Daryl to go to town to look for them," Parker explained, as she ran back to the group. "She most likely went alone." Carl let out a worried sound and Parker watched him run towards the house. She sighed and followed him. "Carl! Hey!" He turned around and looked at Parker with tears in his eyes.

"What if she's dead?"

"Lori's gonna be fine," Parker promised, hugging her nephew. "Shane's going to go out and look for her."

"I want to go with him," Carl said. Without Rick and Lori around, taking care of Carl became Parker's responsibility, and as much as she wanted to get in a car and find her brother and Lori, she knew she couldn't do that. She couldn't leave Carl alone, especially when his parents were missing. Crouching in front of him, Parker brushed his cheek with her thumb.

"Hey, you know I can't allow that. We have to stay here in case they come back."

"What if none of them come back?" Carl asked.

"Hey, no. Don't talk like that," Parker said quietly. "We'll find them, okay? They'll be fine." She and Carl sat on the porch steps waiting for news, and Parker kept an arm around his shoulders, assuring him that his mother would be okay and that Shane would find her and Rick. As the lights flashed in the driveway, Carl and Parker stood up and walked towards the car while it was parked. Two people came out and Parker let out a sigh of relief when she realized it was Lori and that she was safe. As they approached, Parker heard Shane talking to Lori.

"I had to make sure the baby was alright, okay?"

"You're having a baby?" Carl asked. "Why didn't you tell me?" Carl looked upset and Lori looked at Shane as Andrea guided her into the house to check that she and the baby were okay. Once inside, Parker sat Lori on the couch and Carl sat next to her. Dale returned with a towel for Lori to hold against the cut on her forehead, before sitting down next to Andrea.

"Hey," Lori whispered, looking at Carl. "I am so sorry I left without telling you."

"It's okay," Carl responded, looking at his mom. "I wasn't scared. When's dad getting back?"

"Let's hope soon," Lori said, looking at Parker.

"I want to be there when you tell him about the baby," Carl said quietly.

"Oh, love, he already knows," Lori told him, placing a hand on Carl's shoulder. "We were just trying to find the right time to tell you."

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Carl asked.

"Well, we won't know until it's born," Lori answered, turning her body so she was facing him, her legs tucked under her.

"Will I be able to feel it?" Carl asked, putting his hand on Lori's stomach.

"Not for a while," She said. "You must have a lot of questions, huh?" She looked at Dale and Andrea. "We never had the talk. I guess we forgot." Carl looked at Dale, who sat up a little straighter, his eyes wide, feeling uncomfortable at the unasked question.

"Don't look at me. That's your father's job."

"If the baby is a girl, can we name her Sophia?" Carl asked. No one said anything for a moment until Shane spoke from the doorway.

"Hey, dude. Hey, I'm sorry, bud, okay? I thought you knew." Carl tipped his hat at him.

"Big brother Carl. Pretty cool, huh?" He laughed at his own words.

"I say that's very cool," Shane said, laughing. "You, uh... you mind if I talk to your mom for a sec?"

"How about a little later, after she's had some rest?" Parker suggested.

"Lori, I had to get you back here," Shane said. "You wouldn't have come otherwise. How about you, uh.. how about you hear me out please?" Shane asked, leaning on the couch when she didn't respond to him, not even sparing him a glance.

"Give me a minute?" Lori asked Carl.

"Thanks, bud," Shane said as Parker and Carl got up to leave the room. Carl looked at Parker.

"I'm going to be a big brother."

"And I will be an aunt times two," Parker said, smiling. "This baby is going to have a great family.