I'll Keep you Safe And That's A Promise

Walkers were coming at them from all directions, so they turned around and headed back the way they had come, the only option left unless they wanted to be killed. The alarm kept blaring, and each shrill sound sent another pang of fear through Parker's chest.

Parker and Maggie were helping Lori, half carrying her, half dragging her through the hallways as she struggled to keep her feet under her. Carl ran just ahead of them, gun raised protectively until he found an empty room, ushering them inside.

Parker let go of Lori and did a quick sweep of the room, finding that it hadn't been touched by walkers or anything else. It was like an old generator room mixed into a boiler room, but Parker didn't have much time to worry about it, because Lori was going to give birth any minute. She was leaning against the wall, breathing heavily. Parker put a hand on her shoulder. "Lori, are you okay?"

"Yes," Lori responded before gasping in pain. "The baby is definitely coming. What are those alarms?"

"Don't worry about it," Maggie answered, helping her walk further back into the room.

"What if it attracts them?" Carl asked the one thing that Parker hadn't thought about.

"We'll be fine. Your father is probably trying to get them turned off right now. We just need to worry about keeping the four of us safe for the time being."

"Lori, let's lay you down," Maggie suggested.

"No," Lori panted, gripping onto a metal bar. "The baby's coming now."

"We have to go back to our cellblock and have Hershel help," Carl told them all. 

"It's too dangerous," Parker whispered, her eyes flashing back to the door that walkers were trying to get through.

"We can't risk gettin' caught out there" Maggie explained to him, looking at Lori. "You're gonna have to give birth to the baby here."

"Great," Lori breathed out before another contraction hit causing her to struggle to catch her breath.

"What is she doing? Can't she breathe?" Carl panicked, looking between his mom, Maggie, and Parker.

"She's okay," Parker assured him, praying she was right when she said that. "Let's get your pants off."

"Okay," Lori whispered, lying down on the floor. There was no way to describe the feeling in Parker's chest at that very moment, but she would compare it to a hand twisting her insides mercilessly, making her chest tighten as she realized that Lori probably wouldn't make it out of this alive. 

She gave birth to Carl via C-section, so there was a strong possibility that she would have to give birth to this baby the same way. Without the proper medication, equipment, and experience, there was no way to guarantee Lori would survive this. Maggie looked over at Carl, "You're gonna need to help deliver your brother or sister. You up for it?"

"Yeah," Carl stuttered.

"Parker, you ready?" Maggie asked. Parker nodded and knelt next to Lori. 

"You're going to be okay." Even as Parker spoke those words, Lori's eyes met hers, filled with fear that she couldn't hide. She knew what was coming and that there was only one way for this to end. Lori wouldn't make it out alive.

"I'll do an exam. Let me see if you're dilated." Maggie said, taking off Lori's pants

"Do you know how?" Carl asked.

"Dad taught me, but trust me, it's my first time," Maggie responded, examining Lori for a moment. "I can't tell."

"I gotta push," Lori said, sitting up. "I gotta push."