Telling Daryl

"Carl, honey, why don't you stay with Aunt Parker tonight?" Lori suggested once everyone had retired to bed for the night. "Your dad and I have a lot to talk about and we don't want to keep you up." Carl nodded, and Parker wanted to barf.

"Can daddy tuck me in?"

"Of course, I can," Rick stood up, leading him away. "Come on." Once the boys left, Parker looked at Lori, raising her eyebrows.

"You're not going to be 'talking', are you?"

"Shut up, Parker." Lori murmured, "I haven't seen him in months."

"So, are you going to make up for lost time?" Parker asked. "Is that why you're giving me Carl?" Lori's face was red, and even despite the darkness, Parker could see it. 

"Parker, please stop."

"So I am right?" Parker guessed. "Anyway, I'll take care of Carl. Thanks for asking before making that decision." Lori rolled her eyes.

"Don't pretend you don't love his company."

"I do." Parker looked over her shoulder making sure no one was around. "I really want a child someday."

"Maybe you will," Lori replied. "Who knows?"

"No one," Parker sighed. "But, is it really worth having a child if they are going to grow up in a world like this?" Lori looked sad at the mention of what the world had turned into. 

"Well, we'll manage." Once she returned to her tent, Carl appeared to be asleep in his sleeping bag, and once Parker joined him, she realized he wasn't actually asleep. Carl turned to face his aunt, a smile on his face.

"I can't believe Dad's back," Carl whispered.

"I know." Parker chuckled, brushing Carl's hair back. "It's great."

"When do you think Daryl will be back?" Carl asked. Parker shrugged not knowing when he'd be back.

"Uh... he left a few days ago, so, maybe tomorrow?"

"Are you together?" Carl asked, enthusiastically. Parker's eyes widened.

"Why the hell would you ask that?"

"I listened to Amy and Andrea talking," Carl explained to her. "They said you two would make a cute couple."

"Well, I don't know anything about that." Parker shook her head. "I barely know him."

"Maybe you could get to know him?" Carl asked. "And then I'll have an awesome uncle."

"Is that the only reason you want Daryl and me to be together?" Parker asked the boy. 

"Maybe. He could teach me how to use his crossbow." Carl smiled at the idea.

"I think if he did that your mom would shoot him with it," Parker said. "You should get some sleep. It's late." Carl nodded with a yawn. 

"Goodnight, Aunt Parker." With Carl snuggled next to her, his soft breathing was what lulled Parker to sleep, and they were both fast asleep before Shane returned from watch. When he saw the two cuddled together, he realized what was happening in Lori's tent, and his heart filled with jealousy as he lay down in his own sleeping bag and fell asleep. 

The next morning, Parker was hanging out the clothes that Carol had washed that morning when a revving engine caught her attention. Shane was returning from the quarry with his daily supply of water. Parker was carrying the baskets toward the spare clothesline when she heard screams coming from the trees. One sounded just like Carl, and without thinking, the basket fell from her hands and she ran towards the trees, right in front of Lori and Rick.