41 - Maddison

Emilia headed back inside, leaving Maddison and Steve outside alone. She sipped on the last little bit of her coffee, but she didn't have an appetite for food. She felt sick, she felt uneasy that Ben could rip her daughter from her arms and she couldn't do anything about it but beg that he didn't.

Steve ran his hand along her back, putting her attention back to him. "Angel, that was Stark. Can we talk about what he said?" He asked calmly. She felt a pit in her stomach, a sinking weight begging to make her sick. She just simply nodded. "He's saying that since Ben signed his rights away, there's nothing he can do about custody unless he can prove that you're an unfit mother. Apparently, he's trying to build a case that you're neglectful since your schedule is so full. But if I adopted her, she'd have two parents, and it wouldn't matter how hectic your schedule is. I know it's a lot and I know it's soon. But would that be something you would consider? If not, Stark can still fight this." He explained.

Maddison didn't need to think about it to know the answer. "Yes." She said confidently. Steve was already Avery's dad. He was already the man she needed him to be and the man that Avery needed to raise her. He was already the one that Avery ran to when she needed love, comfort, and safety. He was already her dad in every way but by the law. He was already everything to her and her daughter.

Steve picked his head up from hers, seemingly confused by her answer. "Let's do it. You're already her dad in every other way." She said before he could say anything. But she didn't miss the smile that spread across his face, lighting up his already gorgeous features. "Charlotte Avery Rogers, it's cute." She mentioned a little quieter.

Steve kissed her forehead a few times, holding her steadily to his warm embrace. "You'd want her to take my name?" He asked her. But even without looking at his face, she could hear the happiness in his voice, radiating through him. Yeah, he deserved this. "That way, we'd all match when I finally make you a Rogers." He mentioned, kissing her forehead again.

Maddison smiled at that, a subtle blush spreading across her cheeks and down her chest. "You want to make me a Rogers?" She asked quietly.

Steve let out a small laugh at that, pinching her chin between his fingers to tilt her to look at him. "More than anything, I want both my girls to have my name. I've just been waiting so your degree can have your name. I know that's important to you." He explained. He leaned in, pressing his lips to hers in a kiss that stole her breath away and erupted fireworks in her belly. She tightened her grip around Steve, holding him so closley to herself that she wanted to disappear into his embrace. Into a world where it was only their little family and nothing else mattered.

When their kiss finally broke, Maddison smiled up at Steve. "I love you." She said confidently. Steve smiled back at her, leaning in to kiss her again. "I love you." He said back.

Maddison heard the back patio open, but she didn't react until she felt a warm hand on her back. She picked her head up from Steve's neck to see Bucky and Emilia on the patio. Emilia was securely under Bucky's arm with an arm around his waist. "James and I are going to head home, Avery is napping, and lunch is prepped for you guys to have in a little while." Emilia said sweetly.

Steve shifted his focus to the two as well. "Of course, thank you guys for staying with her for me. I've got my girls from here." He said to the two.

Bucky clapped Steve on the shoulder before patting Maddison's head. "Any time, Em's just a little tired, so I'd like to get her a nap in our own bed before it makes her nauseous." He explained.

Maddison frowned at that. She felt guilty that the two stayed all night and apparently suffered for it. She knew the two were never apart for long, and yet she assumed Bucky slept on the floor so as not to disturb Emilia. She wished she'd insisted they'd gone home when she woke up for a snack, but her mind was so busy that it never crossed her mind. "I'm so sorry. I should have given you two the bed. I didn't consider how uncomfortable the floor was." She said sadly.

Emilia chuckled at that, squeezing Maddison's shoulder. "Nobody slept on the floor, darling. James slept on the couch and I slept on James. I just like to have the window open for the breeze, so I didn't sleep very well." She explained sweetly.

Emilia gave Steve a quick side hug, Steve kissing her on the cheek before she gave a quick hug to Maddison and headed back into the house with Bucky.

Steve squeezed Maddison's waist, bringing her attention back to him. "How are you feeling, angel?" He asked her.

Maddison nodded at that, laying her head down onto his shoulder. "Better now that I know we have a plan that might actually work." She said with a small sigh. She relaxed into his touch, wrapping her arms around his shoulders tightly. "I don't understand why he'd want to even do this." She mumbled into his neck.

Steve rubbed his hands down her back, holding her close to him. "He wants you to suffer. But he won't win, I won't let him. Nobody is taking my daughter, I'd never allow it." He said confidently.

Maddison kissed Steve's neck lightly, keeping herself in his embrace. "Bucky said he'd kill Ben if your plan failed." She said with a quiet laugh.

Steve barked out a laugh, trailing his hands down and resting them on her ass. "He's a big softie for our girl." He said. Maddison smiled and nodded at that. "He and Emilia are going to be amazing parents." She said happily.

The two stayed on the patio together for a while. Maddison knew Steve would be able to listen for Avery, but she also knew that she was perfectly safe in her crib. Bucky and Emilia would have never left if she wasn't safe and taken care of.