40 - Steve

Steve woke up to the morning sun shining in his face. But what surprised him was that he was alone in bed. Maddison never woke up before him, ever. He jumped up, quickly throwing on a pair of sweatpants, and headed out into the house. But what he saw was Emilia on the couch holding a happy and squealing Avery, Bucky in the kitchen making some kind of healthy looking breakfast for his wife, and no Maddison. "Where's Mads?" He asked. He scanned the room, hoping she was just sitting in the corner or something, but she wasn't.

Emilia turned her head, smiling at Steve with Avery in her grip. "Back porch." She answered sweetly.

Steve came around the couch, kissing his friend on the top of the head before focusing on his little girl. "Morning, pumpkin." He said happily, leaning in and kissing her cheek. His little girl squealed happily, grabbing onto his face with both hands. She squeezed his face and planted an overly sloppy kiss right onto his mouth and chin. "Hi, Daddy!" She mumbled in her adorable baby talk.

Steve smoothed his hand through his little girl's beautiful blonde hair, kissing her on the forehead. "I've got her, Steve. Go talk to Maddison. She looked upset when she came out." Emilia said sweetly. Steve gave an appreciative nod and headed out onto the small back porch.

Maddison was sitting at one of her patio chairs. A cute little glass and rod iron patio set that honestly looked like it had seen better days. But Maddison told Steve that they were important to her, so he promised her he wouldn't replace them. He still wasn't sure if she'd be okay with him restoring them instead of replacing them, but he hadn't gotten the chance to ask. The chairs at least had new cushions, comfortable thick red cushions that tied into the rod iron to keep them in place.

Steve stared at his girl for a moment. She was simply sitting in the chair, staring at the sunrise with her feet up on her seat and her arms wrapped around her legs. She looked so beautiful when she saw just herself. Her raw, beautiful self. Not a spec of makeup, her hair a mess and her old ratted pajamas on. Well, now they weren't so old and ratted. No, they were the new set that he'd bought her to replace the set he ruined on their vacation. A cute little silk pajama set with matching royal blue shorts and tank top.

Steve took a seat in the spot beside Maddison, reaching over and putting his arm on the back of her chair. He dragged his fingertips across her exposed back, smiling when she shuddered from the cold chill and turned to face him. "How are you feeling, angel?" He asked quietly. It already worried him enough that she was awake before him. He needed to make sure she was okay.

Maddison shrugged but didn't answer him. She looked at him when he spoke, but then her attention was back on the sun rising in front of her. Steve got up from his chair, squatting down in front of her. He slid his hands between her calves and her thighs, squeezing her soft and warm skin in his hands. "Talk to me, Mads." He begged of her. He didn't like this feeling of being shut out by her. He hated it.

Finally, Maddison turned to look at him. But his heart broke at the broken look in her eyes. "You left. I needed you. We needed you, and you just left." She said quietly.

Steve sighed. He kept himself on his knees in front of her, but he squeezed her soft legs in his hands again. "I know, angel. I'm sorry I had to leave." He said calmly. Maddison sighed, looking down at him and keeping his eye contact. "Why? Are we not worth the effort? Do you not care if he takes her?" She asked so quietly that he almost didn't hear her at all.

Steve quickly stood up, scooping his girl up into his arms and taking her chair. "Of course I care. You two are my life, angel. I'd do anything for you." He promised her. He wanted to smile when Maddison sighed and leaned into his embrace. She laid her head onto his shoulder but kept her hands to herself. He didn't mind. Her leaning on him was enough for now. "I left to try and get this handled. I have what I guess you would call a friend with connections. Entire teams of lawyers that charge more than rent in Manhattan for an hour of their time. He's got his entire team on this. It will be handled." He promised her. But he hated that he made Maddison feel like she wasn't worth any amount of effort. She was worth everything. She was everything to him.