9: conflicted in the mirror

The vampire had reached home safely. He didn't feed as much as he wanted to. He was going to find a tasty prey, but he got sidetracked when he bumped into two hunters.

And he can not just let them pass without having some fun...

And that was that,

Now he found himself standing in his bathroom, looking at himself in the mirror while the shower slowly warmed up behind him.

A vampire...

He looked at his face, a smear of dried blood on his cheek that he tried to wipe away earlier this evening. His nails were red underneath. Blood was even in the prints of his hands.

A dangerous being, a violent being,

How was he supposed to get close to someone so different?

How was he supposed to meet him face to face when he was like that the night before?

A frown appeared on his face and he balled his fists. But he didn't feel angry, he felt just....Disappointed.

He always wants the impossible things in life. He doesn't want attachments, he wants to take revenge, he wants to have peace and now he wants to be with someone who felt so out of his reach while he was right there.

"this wont work.... " Jungkook sighed and turned to the shower. Even if he was convinced it would never work out. He wasn't going to give up.

He had nothing to lose anyway....

-

The next morning a gentle being was swimming aimlessly in the water.

His eyes scanned the surface. He was cautious before going out. He had seen it go wrong one time, and that one time was enough to scar him deeply. It had taken him weeks to gather courage and near the surface again.

Even if he knows that there won't be anyone here except for that vampire he still felt afraid deep down.

Okay, it looked safe.

Silently he poked his head out of thrme water and slowly moved to the shore where he rested in his arms. Looking at the new flowers in the pots. This time they are roses, red roses.

Taehyung reached out and touched the spikes. He thought they were funny, it was like a very thin pupperfish.

"spikey" he chuckled, but the smile faded as soon the thorn pierced his finger tip.
The merman gasped and looked at the red dot in his finger.

"good morning"

Taehyung turned his head alarmed. But he smiled again when he saw Jungkook stand there with his umbrella and gloves. He looked happy, but his eyes looked sad.

Taehyung felt a confusing feeling coming from the raven.

"Hello Jungkook," the merman smiled. The nice vampire was back.

"When did you hurt yourself?" the raven asked. He took steps closer and sat down in front of the merman.

"huh...How did you know?" Taehyung frowned and pulled his finger from the water, checking it again.

"i can smell it"

"ah....Of course" The merman chuckled awkwardly. He could have guessed that.

"don't worry. I'm no animal, the smell doesn't do anything to me. But I do admit it smells nice, '' Jungkook smiled. He really looked calm, even with the faint scent of blood near him.

The amount of blood was so extremely little it didn't even affect him at all. Not even a little. It was just a smell like any other.

"t-that's good"

"other vampires would want to eat you,  but not me. I am friendly, i like you" Jungkook smiled, but as soon as he realized what he said he frowned. "I did not make myself look good with that sentence.....I mean, I'm friendly. Not pretending or what- uh..." he was cut off when he heard the Merman laugh.

He actually laughed, his eyes closed by his cheeks and a smile on his face.

Beautiful, just...Beautiful.

"im sorry, you just sound funny right now.Don't worry, I'm not that afraid of you. You feel different. We mermans can feel emotions from others if we want to. You don't have any bad ones right  now. So i feel comfortable" Taehyung kept smiling.And he leaned closer towards Jungkook. His arms on the grass.

"That makes me happy. I'm so used to people being afraid of me  that i sometimes forget that not everyone is like that." the vampire scooted closer, poking the umbrella in the grass so he won't have to hold it.

"but... Don't you have friends?"

"yes...No...Not really I think. I do have some humans that are friendly to me. But i can not...it's...Complicated" Jungkook sighed.

"isn't it...Lonely?" Taehyung asked. Things that Jungkook had said so far were only making it seem to him that he was living a lonely life and his kind was not accepted by a big amount of people.

"it.....It is, '' Jungkook said. He doesn't like talking about that, but he also doesn't want to lie to the other. And it didn't feel like the merman was going to say anything mean about it. "but i'm fine with it. I just live my life and play my part"

"Is that why you wanted to talk to me? To make friends, so you won't feel lonely?" Taehyung asked. His beautiful eyes stared at Jungkook curiously.

"yes and no.It was mostly because i uhh....Found interest in you.....So i....Yea" jungkook took back his words halfway. He shouldn't say something like that already. That would only weird the other out.

"i'm glad you're a good vampire." Taehyung smiled. And these words made the raven think...

"Taehyung" Jungkook started. He looked at the merman who right away gave him his full attention. "Do you....Think we can be friends?"

"Of course!" Taehyung said cheerfully.

"even if im a...Vampire, because..You know..."

"that doesn't matter to me, Jungkook"

And that's all Jungkook ever wanted to hear. These words felt so comforting to him.

He needs to protect this creature, always. Taehyung is his chance....He can't let it be taken from him. He will do his best to be good for him, to show him only his best and caring side. Anything for him.

---

Thank you for reading! There will be a small time skip in next chapter. But dont fear, im not going to leave out any important details. 👀  Just a heads up.

Anyway, ill see you in the next chapter!

🌼🌼🌼