Chapter 16

~ ~ Beth ~ ~

~ ~ Beth ~ ~

I reared back a little, like he'd slapped me.

He was trying to pawn me off on someone else!?

But at the same time, he didn't look pleased about it either.

What the heck was goin' on here?

Tonight had been going great. Or so I'd thought and in my mind, I tried to work out the puzzle of why the sudden change.

Because he'd hardly taken his eyes off me all night; practically undressed me. And it was true I might not know a man in the biblical sense of the word, but I knew when one wanted me.

And Chris wanted me.

I'd truly thought I had managed to stretch every last bit of his control tonight, and just like an elastic band, it was about to snap.

Surely I hadn't read it wrong?

No.

So it brought me back full circle—what the hell had just happened?

Ugh!

Shaking my head in disbelief, I was 'bout to fly off the handle as I listened to him threaten Aaron to make sure he looked after me.

I wouldn't need looking after if he'd just stop all this crazy talk.

And suddenly I felt a little spiteful.

Fine.

If he wanted me to go. Then I would damn well go.

But there was one minor problem. My feet didn't seem in agreement with my head.

They weren't moving.

No, they wanted to stay right here with this stubborn man whose handsome face I wanted to scream some sense into...and then kiss.

My spite shrivelled up... lasting all of what? Ten seconds maybe?

God, I was pathetic. Why couldn't I stay mad at him?

Deflating a little, I took a tiny step closer, trying to get him to look at me, but he was avoiding eye contact. I waited for a beat, my eyes pleading. I just wanted him to say it, admit it, that he didn't want me to go with Aaron and his friends because he felt something for me, but I could already tell he wasn't going to do that.

Turned out, I was right.

The warmth of Aaron's hand brushed against me as his fingers wrapped around mine.

It at least got a reaction out of Chris. His nostrils flared as he watched. His eyes were laser-focused on our now joined hands, his jaw set tight, teeth working with a grimace on his lips.

Surely if he hated the sight of another man holding my hand, that would force him into action?

Apparently not, and without a word to me, he slammed his bottle down, making me jump and flicked his head in Danny's direction. "I'll be heading home. Good seeing you Danny."