Chapter 29

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

Rolling onto my back I was lying in my bed... wide awake. So wide awake it bordered on absurdity.

Why?

Simply because each time I dared to shut my eyes, Beck's horrified expression haunted me.

Why had I been so stupid? Acted recklessly?

That moment of weakness had brought a tidal wave of regret crashing over me. And when Beth had reached for my hand, for us to face it together, I'd pulled away. And the hurt in her eyes was just as bad and maybe even worse than Beck's disgust.

She wanted me. She wanted to love me.

She was ready for us.

And me, I'd let her down. 

What kind of man did that make me? And now, I grappled with the weight of it all, uncertainty gnawing at me.

Should I end it?

It felt necessary to do what's right, to stop more hurt, because this secret was like a line of falling dominoes. Once one went down, the rest would follow.

So why hadn't I done it already?

Truth was. I loved her. I was in love with Bethany Rogers.

But was it enough?

And it tore at my conscience, leaving me torn between doing what was maybe morally right and following my heart because not everyone would accept us. All people would see was family. Her age. My age. Everyone would talk. They'd make it dirty and wrong and no one would take us seriously.

Hell, no one took me seriously now.

Running a hand down my face in frustration, I should have seen this coming a mile off. It shouldn't have surprised me, his reaction was exactly what I'd expected.

Ugh, why couldn't it just me simple—easy?

I swiped my phone off the bedside table and there was a message from an unknown number.

Opening up my phone, it read. April gave me your number, I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to say thank you. It means the world to Jamie and me that you forgive us.

It was from Claire.

Forgive.

One word. And weirdly when I thought of the past now, for the first time—maybe ever, I didn't feel anything.

No jealously. No bitterness. Nothing.

And that was a good thing, right?

I thought back to Beth walking in on me hugging Claire and reading the entire situation wrong. Clair had been openly talking about a health scare with Jamie. Cancer. He'd had the lump removed and after radiotherapy, and other treatments, thankfully, he was in the clear. She'd felt alone during this time because Jamie had refused to share it with the family—didn't want to worry them.