Chapter 2

~ ~ Bethany ~ ~

~ ~ Bethany ~ ~

The party was now in full swing.

"What's with all the smiling? Are you sucking on a clothes-hanger or sumthin?" asked Lana, my best friend.

My head whipped around to defend myself. "I'm being polite and friendly, is all."

She scoffed and nudged my shoulder with hers. "So it ain't got nuthin to do with a certain dark-haired doctor that your eyes keep following 'round the room, huh?"

If my cheeks weren't pink a second ago, well, they were now.

I gripped Lana by the elbow and tugged her to the corner. "Shush!" Lana was volume challenged sometimes. "And I don't know what you're talking 'bout."

Lana gave me, you ain't foolin' anyone look. But grinning, her head flicked to the side. "And whilst your eyes were all over him. Ryan's are all over you."

What? I shot Ryan a curious look and yep. He was looking right at us.

Oh, crap.

Ryan worked in the kitchens at the Diner where we waited tables. He was a short-order cook. "Did you invite him?"

Shrugging. "April asked me if you liked anyone."

"What!?" I whisper shouted. "You know darn well I don't like Ryan like that! And he don't like me neither."

Shooting him another look. I guess you could say he was attractive. Taller than most, but he was quite lean, like he hadn't filled out yet. And with his pretty green eyes, sweet smile and thick black hair, well, yeah, he could pass as cute.

"I beg to differ," she said. "And those crazy eyes of his are all for you, Chica." Ugh. "But it looks like our bucking bronco might have himself some competition in the form of a stallion"

My stomach rolled over, acknowledging her words. I needed to distract her, so grabbing her hand I tugged her upstairs to my bedroom. Shutting the door behind us, Lana kicked off her pumps and sat herself on my bed.

"Sooooo..." wiggling her toes. "Tell me what's goin' on."

I nibbled on the inside of my lip as she kept on staring.

Lana's waited until her impatience got the better of her. Blowing out a frustrated breath. "I know you're hiding sumthin." She waggled her finger accusingly. "But I'm right aren't I? You do like him?"

She was like a hound that had caught onto a scent, sniffing the surrounding air, and I knew her question could be a cover for other loaded questions.

"Pfft. You don't know what you're talking 'bout." I waved my hand around like I was swatting a mosquito.

"Don't you pfft me. You get this goofy look on your face every time he glances your way."

Oh, God. Had anyone else noticed? A knot formed in my belly, tightening uncomfortably.