Chapter 7

~ ~ Beth ~ ~

~ ~ Beth ~ ~

"Beth, you 'bout done up there?" I heard April call from downstairs.

I poked my head out the bathroom door. "Yeah, be down in a jiffy."

Flipping back around with a sigh, I looked at my reflection. Grabbing the hairbrush, I dragged out the tangles and then up it went into my go-to ponytail.

Done.

Then why was I just standing around? "Quit stalling," I grumbled at my reflection.

Cal and April had arrived at Chris's pretty damn early, which I felt bad about. April must have insisted they leave right away because the poor man still had on his uniform and, even worse, he hadn't gotten a wink of sleep.

As we all sat down to talk, Chris wouldn't even look at me and instead, he excused himself and went for a run.

I guess that was one way to avoid the awkwardness.

When I'd finished telling Cal and April what had gone down. I'd never seen them so angry. Cal was better at hiding it, but the way his eye twitched, he looked like he was about to lose his religion!

And I hadn't expected him to announce that we were going back there. He said it was to pick up my belongings, but I had a feeling he wanted a few words for Mr Thompson.

April thought it was a good idea to let Mrs Thompson know I was coming. Firing off a message, she then handed me a bag of stuff, so I could at least get dressed and make myself look half decent.

And now it was time to leave. Packing away my toothbrush and the other accessories back into the bag, I wondered if Chris had returned yet. But if we had to leave before he got back, then I suppose that got me out of an embarrassingly long and awkward apology for last night.

What had I been thinking, throwing myself at him...again? I didn't know why I kept doing it to myself.

I'd served up my vulnerability on a platter for him to reject me like cheap steak.

Did I enjoy getting hurt? Was I like one of those masochists?

Not to mention he had another woman—waiting for him in his bed.

A beautiful woman.

I might only have glimpsed her last night, but it was enough for me to realise what kind of woman he liked.

Wearing what looked like one of Chris's shirts, it barely did anything to hide those big boobs and curvy hips. And throw in legs that didn't quit and an ass that deserved its very own fan-fair.

Well, it was fair to say she was a twelve on the one-to-ten scale.

Was I jealous? Maybe a little. Okay, that was a flat-out lie, my skin tone was borderline green.