37 (End of Main Story)

Before any of them could speak anything, another person burst out of the forest looking like she was about to kill someone when she spotted Lan Wangji.

"Gege! What are you doing here?"

The woman - Feng Yue - casually speaking to Lan Wangji as if their last conversation was only yesterday, and she jumped closer to the giggling kids.

"Who set the trap in the middle of nowhere and led me through it?" She tickled both kids until they were crying from laughter, and she took them both into her embrace. "I'll clean up the kids while you guys talk. I bet you have a lot of things to talk about. Right guys?" Feng Yue winked as she walked toward the house without waiting to hear both men's answers.

"I see that she hasn't changed at all." Lan Wangji sighed at Feng Yue's brashness. "I guess she likes you that much, huh?" Then he looked at Wei Wuxian again - this time, with so much hope in his eyes. "Are they... mine?"

"They are mine, and mine alone." Wei Wuxian turned around to walk back to the house. "There was never anything that had happened between us anyway except for a few nights of passion. You are the Emperor and I am a... dead man. And since I know you're going to be pressured to get married by everyone to... continue the bloodline, you are welcome to marry whoever you like. In fact, I will appreciate it if you can cut our bond now that you're here."

Wei Wuxian knew that his words were harsh, but what else could he do?

He did not want to go back to that godforsaken place, and Lan Wangji would not be able to abandon the throne, as he was an upright man with the highest virtue.

"Wei Ying, I love you, and I know you love me. Can't you give me a chance to prove my love for you? For our children? I can not live without you, Wei Ying. And after knowing that I have children... how can I ever leave you?"

Love?

Yes, he loved Lan Wangji, but he loved his children and his humble and happy life more. And if loving Lan Wangji was an obstacle to his and his children's happiness, he would be glad to cut ties with the man that he loved for the sake of his own sanity and his children and family.

He was so done with all the rules of high society and the pressure to be someone that he was not. And he did not want his children to experience the same nightmare as his own.

It would be hard, but not impossible. After all, his life was not his alone anymore.

"If you doubt me, I already erased the rule that only alpha could be the Emperor, and I put a ban on anyone who mistreated Omegas. I also replaced everyone who was in the previous Emperor and Empress' regime. You don't have anything to be afraid of now, Wei Ying."

He would give it to Lan Wangji that the man was the only one who could easily erase the ancient law with the flick of his hand.

Maybe he should give him a chance to prove himself?

After all, the man looked like a mess, and Wei Wuxian was secretly satisfied to see the usual prim and proper Lan Wangji was not himself. If anything at all, it showed that the Emperor himself was willing to bend his knees for the good for nothing former Crown Prince, and the petty realization shocked him to his reality.

What was he doing?

Did he really want Lan Wangji to suffer?

Well, yes, but that was beside the point.

And since he could not make up his mind, he decided to take things slow. After all, being slow was better than nothing.

"I'm not going back, Lan Zhan. But you are welcome to come here anytime you want."

Let's see some determination there, pal.

"But enough of this... heavy talk. Would you like to join us for dinner, Lan Zhan? We only have a humble rabbit stew though, I hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind at all, Wei Ying, as long as I can be with you - and the children."

"Well, I hope you don't change your mind. The kids could be... handful."

"I can work with that." Lan Wangji took Wei Wuxian's hand, and together they walked to the house - hand in hand - filled with the hope for the fresh start that Lan Wangji prayed that Wei Wuxian would give him.

PS :

This is the end of the main story, but don't worry, I will add more snippets into their daily life with Side Stories.

Thank you for joining me in my first attempt at writing angst, and I hope you are all satisfied with it.

AJ