7

"You're awake, Your Highness."

Wei Wuxian opened his eyes to see the familiar ceiling with the wooden dragon carvings, and he knew that he was back in his bedroom.

"How long?" He groaned in pain from his stomach.

It seemed that his estrus cycle had started, even though he knew that it was not supposed to be the time yet.

Did the meeting with Lan Wangji somehow trigger it?

"Two days." Wen Qing gave him a cup of warm water to calm his stomach. "It seems like something has triggered your estrus cycle, Your Highness. Yours is supposed to be another week or so."

"It seems to be the case."

Wei Wuxian knew that he could not go outside at least for another day to settle his body, but then Wen Qing cleared her throat and pointed at the black and red robe that was obviously new.

"The banquet for Grand Duke Lan will be held tonight, and this is what the Empress sent you to wear."

"The banquet is tonight?" Wei Wuxian was baffled because as far as he remembered, it was supposed to be next week.

"Yes. The Grand Duke Lan insisted that he would be busy next week and if the Emperor wanted to give him a banquet, he should do it today."

Wei Wuxian groaned.

He knew that Wen Qing knew that his estrus cycle had started earlier after he met Lan Wangji, and he also knew that Wen Ning and Xue Yang must have told her too about the meeting.

"Don't worry, Your Highness. Since you drank the suppressant all the time, your pheromone would not smell like any other… you know. But, may I suggest something? This might be the solution to lessen the suppressant and the drugs and alcohol, Your Highness. But…" She hesitated to continue.

"Go on." Wei Wuxian kneaded his head to release the tension from all the drugs.

"There is one way to do it. By spending your estrus cycle with an Alpha."

Wei Wuxian stopped his kneading as he digested Wen Qing's words.

"If you can find an Alpha that you can trust and spend your every estrus cycle with him, the pain of the suppressant would lessen by half at least, and you don't have to use the drugs and alcohol again, Your Highness."

Wei Wuxian thought about the ridiculous idea and he scoffed lightly.

"Have you told this to the Empress? If you haven't, don't. I don't want she killed every Alpha who spent the night with me just like she disposed everyone else who threatened my position as the Crown Prince."

"Understood, Your Highness. But please consider the idea."

Well, it actually made sense. He was a dominant omega with stronger pheromone than his peers – the normal omegas – and he was already in his prime age for having an offspring or two.

Just like how Lan Wangji would be married as soon as he found the right partner.

Lan Wangji.

His heart ached when he actually thought that someday Lan Wangji would marry another Omega and have a happily ever after life with their children.

Well, he deserved that.

He deserved that and so much more.

Unlike himself.

He knew that he was just a pawn for the Empress to be discarded as soon as she became Empress Dowager and he had accepted his fate ever since he understood how the world and its people worked. Only the strong would survive, and he was the furthest thing away from having strength to do anything about his own condition – let alone taking care of others.

"I want to take a bath please."

He would rather think of how to survive the day instead of thinking of some useless stuff.

At least until he became the Emperor that his mother wanted.

"I have prepared the bath for you, Your Highness." Wen Qing bowed and she called Wen Ning to help with Wei Wuxian's clothes. "Please drink this strengthening supplement, to help you to get through the party. Don't worry about the pheromone, it's very subtle, no one would be able to smell it unless they're looking for it."

Wei Wuxian nodded in gratitude toward Wen Qing.

When he first chose Wen Qing as his doctor, the Empress was angry because she was a Beta woman. But Wei Wuxian told her that if an Alpha male doctor – just as the Empress wanted – was to attend him, what happened when his estrus cycle suddenly came? Wouldn't he be in more danger of triggering the Alpha's rut? And the risk of pregnancy? Of course he didn't want it to happen since he was on suppressants all the time. But what if?

After thinking about what Wei Wuxian said, the Empress begrudgingly agreed with a condition that if he ever got found out, she would terminate all of the doctor's family and everyone who ever came in contact with her.

Wei Wuxian entered the milky bath filled with herbs and subtle-scented flowers that would help cover his alluring scent of bergamot, jasmine, vanilla, musk and with spicier undertones that could turn any sane man crazy with lust immediately.

An hour or so in the bath would dissipate his own strong scent and rendered him scentless like a Beta that he was supposed to be.