33

Feng Yue followed the scent of Wei Wuxian’s subordinates by ordering her poison butterflies to search for those particular scents and found out that the place where they were held was heavily barricaded by multi-layer kekkai.

She thought that it was strange that a mere human would need this kind of protection, but it did not matter for a being like herself since this kind of a barrier did not affect her at all.

She got rid of the kekkai with a flick of her fingers, and she entered the suspicious area leisurely – following the butterflies – and what she saw was a horrendous view of the kind of degradation that human beings were capable of.

There were various states of the humans, from drugging out of their minds, or indulging the carnal pleasures without a care in the world, or those who were emasculated to the point of looking worse than the jiangshi.

Feng Yue wondered if this was what the humans were capable of doing toward their own kinds, and decided to not engage herself with humans other than Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian.

She did not like humans, and now the feelings were getting stronger to the point of disgust toward those lesser and sinful beings.

But she had a job to do to help her new favorite human, and she decided to take care of everything at once.

The people whose scent was on the things she brought were held in a dungeon where other people with the smell of death were also there.

The dungeon was filled with people with a various degree of death looming at them, and Feng Yue never saw anything worse than this place – even on the battlefield.

The dim light of the torches only added to the gaunt, and the smell of human excretions were overwhelming. But she ignored them all and breezed through the hallway to the end of the dungeon where she could see the two fresh bodies without their heads were still chained on the wall, and the fresh blood was splattered on the wall and the floor.

Did she come too late?

She crouched down to examine the bodies.

No.

These ones were freshly dead, but their physiques showed that they were emaciated and their skin lacked the luster of a healthy person. So they must have been the older residents of this dungeon.

But then the butterflies stopped in front of one of the walls and she knew that there would be a secret room behind it, so she smirked as she punched the wall with her bare hand, and the wall just crumbled apart like cookie crumbs.

Behind the walls was a room where there were two people with the same scents as the one she had been tracking, and they looked at her with horror in their eyes – especially when they saw her silver hair and the blue lotus mark on her forehead.

They heard from their parents, who heard from their parents, the lore that the fairies were the ones with hair like the color of the moonlight and the eyes as deep as the Northern sea, and they killed and ate children for fun. So if they happened to find one, they had to run the other way, or hide so that they could not find them.

And now, one of the bloodthirsty fairies was standing in front of them – surrounded by the eerily bluish transparent butterflies.

She looked like the Grim Reaper herself and Wen Qing and Wen Ning did not know which one was worse – death by the decapitation, or eaten by the beautiful fairy.

“Jie, it seems like we have reached the end of our journey here.” Wen Ning gulped as he clutched his sister’s hand and prayed for Wei Wuxian’s safety. “I just hope that the Crown Prince is safe with Grand Duke Lan, and not coming back here to see the Empress.”

Wen Qing did not respond to her brother’s words, instead she squeezed his hand tight, and glared at the fairy.

If the fairy was going to eat them both, she would make sure that she did not have a pleasant meal, and hoped she had a bad stomach ache afterwards.

“Are you Xianxian-gege’s beloved subordinates?” The fairy tilted her head in question, and both of the Wens were very surprised to hear the beautiful melodious tone of her voice. “I’m Feng Yue, Xianxian-gege’s friend and I’m here to get you out of this place. Come with me if you want to live.”

But Wen Qing was skeptical.

What if this was a trick?

Feng Yue saw the doubt in the woman’s eyes and she sighed while muttering under her breath, “Human…” and she took out the jade pendant with the woman’s scent to show her.

“The Crown Prince Wei Wuxian asked me to save you. Now will you come with me or not? I haven’t got all day, you know.” She dangled the pendant in front of Wen Qing’s face – who snatched it and saw that it was indeed hers, and she left it at the Crown Prince’s residence.

“You’re not going to… eat us?” Wen Ning asked with a small voice and Feng Yue sighed again.

“No, I’m not. I prefer the tender flesh of young babies or children instead of the old people like you.” But when she saw how both people widened their eyes in fear, she laughed. “I’m joking! I don’t eat human flesh, although I enjoy killing them… anyway, let’s go before I let you burn with this place.”