4

On his way back, Wei Wuxian saw a figure outside the Empress' door, and he noticed him right away.

He was one of the Empress' playthings – a petite and beautiful man with feminine features and long silky locks. He wore red lipsticks and his nails were painted red – and his wardrobe consisted of a very thin gauze-like robe that hid nothing.

The man always lurked outside when Wei Wuxian came to see the Empress, and he always tried to belittle him in any chance he got, since he knew that he was the Empress' favorite toy.

"Your Highness, nice to meet you again so soon." He spoke in a low voice and his face was half hidden behind the red fan. The thin robe slid off slightly to show one of his slender and porcelaine-white shoulders, and he did not make any gesture to fix it.

"Mo Xuanyu." Wei Wuxian only acknowledged him and he brushed him off to go back to his court – not seeing the unpleasant look on his face.

He didn't care anyway.

He knew that the Empress' boy toys always tried to find a way to please her, and that included by being obnoxious to him, knowing that the Empress did not care about him at all except to make him the next Emperor.

Everyone was trying to gain favor from the Empress since they knew it was just a matter of time before the Emperor croaked and the puppet Emperor was going to replace him, and they all knew who held the true power in the Palace.

Even all of those pretty boys – who were the son of the nobles – were racing to get the Empress' affection, and Mo Xuanyu was the highest ranked one. His father was one of the biggest suporter of the Prime Minister and the Empress, and Mo Xuanyu himself was an Omega – which was coveted by many, but could be seated within the high ranked officials, since there was a rule that forbade Omegas to have any positions in the hierarchy.

They knew if they could get their baby into the Empress womb and probably made the child the Emperor instead of the useless alcoholic and drug addict Beta they called the Crown Prince – not knowing that the Empress had lost her ability to get pregnant. Otherwise, she would not waste her time on Wei Wuxian, and instead she would just kill him when he was born.

But alas, fate said something else, and now she had to endure all of this humiliation – while trying to hasten the demise of the current Emperor.

And that was one of the reasons why she hated Wei Wuxian with all her might.

She did not need him to think, just barely alive was enough. And that was exactly what she did to him.

On the way back to his court, Wei Wuxian felt lighter. He felt that the pain had subsided, and he felt a little bit better and his mind was a little bit clearer, so he decided to go out to the marketplace where he could see the bustling town and its people – his people.

He needed to be reminded once in a while about why he did all of this, and why he should hang on to the thin thread that connected him to his will to survive.

Of course he knew that his pain would not end even if he was to become the Emperor. But at least he needed to know that his people were living a good life.

True that the current Emperor was weak. He was only a normal Alpha among his Beta siblings. But he was at least really concerned about his people and did everything he could to upgrade the standard of their living, including providing free housing and free education in the slum area. He also opened the employment center for the jobless people and mostly they would help by giving back to the others in any way they could, so the crime rate went down considerably.

For the weak Emperor, his mind was quite a modern one, and that's why the people loved him. And yet, the nobles and the aristocrats did not like the way the Emperor was approaching things, and it was one of the reasons why they sided with the Empress to bring back the olden way of governing the low class and common people.

By iron fists.

Wei Wuxian had no idea how he could oppose the Empress if one day he was to become the puppet Emperor, but he had established something that could help the people if the day the current Emperor died – came.

And he was on the way to meet his back up plan now.