"Marriage is not all you youngsters portray it to be, or what social media portrays it to be. Those cute videos and pictures you see on social media is only the surface, because marriage is so much more than that. Duk abinda da Allah yace na bauta ne kasan it's not a joke. (Anything that Allah says is part of your deen you know..)

"I would not use the word 'worship' but anything close to that, do it for your husband. Whatever he asks of you, as long as it does not directly go against Islam or your personal values, do it. If he picks up a piece of red clothe and says it is white then it is white.."

I zone out for a bit as Ammal pinches my sides and Zara stifled her laughter. Ammal always got pissed off when she hears things like that, feminist and all. I couldn't relate, but the piece of clothe thing was quite ridiculous. It was like encouraging you to support your husbands wrongs, In my opinion you could correct someone and still respect them.

"..Allah ya bada zaman Lafiya mamana." That was the last thing I heard her say, we all say a quiet Ameen as the next person took over.

"You are leaving a respectable home and marrying into an even more well known respectable home, remember that always. Remember where you come from madinah and act accordingly, treat his family as your own, don't ever give them a reason to badmouth us. And also keep in mind who you're marrying, albeit him being young, his line of work has earned him respect from people old enough to father him. You can imagine that he must take respect very seriously, I know we would not have any problem with you in that aspect.."

Then she prays for me. Almost everyone said their piece, I was there for an hour before Ya aisha interrupted and said mommy wanted to see me so we went back to her room.

On the way, she handed me a black bag. A Victoria's Secret bag to be specific, I did not have to open it for my cheeks and ears to redden. "Inallilahi ya aisha!" I exclaimed and put the hood of my alkyabba back on, she only chuckled at me and said she'd put it in my bag.

They'd already taken and arranged all the new clothes and things we'd bought to the house. I was only going with a handbag.

I walked into mommy's room and ya aisha left me.

"Madinah come sit." She patted the space beside her on the bed, I did so and faced her.

"I don't know if you would remember this, but when you were much younger, your mom used to call you 'my golden baby' she had a collection of gold specifically for you, I have it with me here and we'll get to that.

Madinah you know how close of a relationship I shared with Fatimah, admittedly at first I disliked her.." maama chuckles, her face sported a distant look. "But overtime she won over me as she did everyone around her, we lived as sisters instead of co-wives. I even named my daughter Fatimah zara after her. When you were born, your father had already named you but she cried to me and she said 'Yaaya I will name my next after you!' But as Allah would have it, she never gave birth again after you and your brother..

Your looks and attributes are hers exactly, she copied and pasted you in every sense. You have a level of patience that only rivals her own, even with Khadijahs antics (Mimi), she took everything she did gracefully just as you do. And Allah will reward the both of you abundantly for it.." we were both crying at this point.

"Madinah forgive me, forgive me for not being able to replace your mommy, but even looking at you hurts. It feels like grieving her all over again." She hugged me to her as we cried, this was the most maama had ever said to me and I'd never seen her cry.

Admittedly, whenever she get things for zara she'd do the exact same and sometimes even more for me, but what I truly craved all my life was this. A sense of belonging.