Loans

TWO WEEKS LATER

"Care to explain why we're half an hour early to the movie?" she asks. 

Jungkook huffs. "Because that way we can see all the coke commercials and laugh at them." 

"This is entertainment for you?" He gives her a 'seriously?' look that has her throwing her hands up in defense. "Listen, do whatever you want as long as you buy the popcorn."

"I'm not surprised you like popcorn," he teases. 

"Well yeah, who doesn't?" 

He shrugs. "I don't know." 

"Then why'd you say it?" 

"Because hot people like hot things, y'know? That's why you like me."

Amira stops in her tracks so she can stare at him. "Excuse me?" 

"You're hot," he says with full confidence.

"Repeat that." 

He smiles innocently. "You're hot." 

"Like, on a scale of one to ten?" 

"I never learned to count that high, can you lower it to one to five please?" 

She whacks his chest, which causes him to let out a cute laugh that crinkles up his eyes and nose. 

Okay, so he looks like a bunny. So what? It's not a big deal. Totally isn't. He's only here with the girl he's in love with, about to see a movie and cuddle her, and looking like a bunny while doing so. No big deal at all. Nu uh. Not in the slightest.

"I recognize that look. Either you got another boner or you're thinking about me," she says. 

"There's one problem with what you just said," he replies. She raises a brow. "Thinking about you is normally the cause of a boner-" 

"We're in public," she sharply reminds him, but he can see the amusement behind her pretty eyes. 

"I'm sure no one is listening."

"I thought that in South Korea you're not supposed to talk about that stuff in public." 

"Said who?" he asks. 

She shrugs. "I just figured cause Korea is really respectful and stuff. Like all the different endings and formalities for the language, pouring drinks for elders, and all that kind of stuff."

Jungkook sighs. "Yeah, it's difficult sometimes. I'm pretty bad at remembering formalities." 

"You've lived here your whole life."

"Sometimes I still forget. Like if you only hang out with friends for a month and don't see any elders or any people above you in rank. You get used to either being treated like a boss or being informal. You don't forget necessarily, but you slip up since you're used to people treating you with high respect."

"As a bodyguard, do you get a lot of formal talk?" 

"Oh, always. Jin's older than me but insists we talk informally, and the other bodyguards are either younger or the same way. Bodyguards are a higher position than waitresses and chefs, so at the restaurant, if I'm not friends with someone, even if I'm younger, they treat me with the highest formalities. It's a position of respect."

"Wow," she says. "Wouldn't expect bodyguards to be so respected. I've seen the news before, a lot of people are quick to blame bodyguards if the smallest thing goes wrong." 

"They have a bit of a right to. We're being paid to make sure the ones we protect don't get hurt. It's quite literally our one and only job, but we're human. Sometimes it's impossible to predict the future."