Blue

Break rooms are nice

The news plays on the screen, the colors flashing across your face almost soothing. It's been four days since you arrived in Korea, and two days since the mysterious security guard, Jeon Jungkook, called you pretty and swayed your heart. 

Ever since, you've gotten nonstop teasing from Jimin and nonstop advice from Taehyung. His advice normally falls under 'don't do anything stupid'. AKA: don't reveal your real name to the hot co-worker. That'd suck, wouldn't it? You'd risk everything by telling even one person about it.

Speak of the devil, Taehyung heads over, stopping once he's next to you. "I think your break's over. Jimin's helping out your tables still, but it's been five minutes," he says. 

You don't even glance at him. He's right: it's been five minutes since you took your two minute break. It's only fair that you get back to work. Why can't you?

"I miss my old job, as silly as that sounds," you admit with a dry chuckle. "I was a stupid journalist. Low-level at that. Wrote articles, got seventy-five percent of them rejected, went home and slept. Isn't it crazy? I lived in a rich family, with a rich house and rich cars, but my life always felt poor." 

Tae lets out a breath while gazing at you, placing a hand on your shoulder. "You should really get back to work, Amira." 

That has you meeting his eyes. "It's the break room, no one's here. You can say it." 

"I'm not risking you for a second," he says. Then, he softens. "I know it's my job to protect you, but I care about you too. I don't want anything to happen to you. Please let me do this?"

You peer into his eyes for any signs of fallacy. When you find none, you smile and place your hand over his. "Okay Hans. I will," you reply. 

He smiles back seconds later. After a shared nod of respect between the two of you, you get back to work. It's nothing too bad; only one more hour. And that hour flies by. You get about ten more tables, and when you're finally cut, the tables leave pretty quickly, too. In total, an hour and twenty minutes after your conversation with Tae, you're sitting out back, peeking up at the sky.

Silence fills the air. Tae and Jimin are talking to each other not too far away, debating where the car keys are, probably. You don't know nor care. All you know is that they don't allow you to drive. It's strange, but it's not a big deal either. You're not a great driver. Everything you know about driving you learned yourself, your parents insisting it wasn't something you needed when you had personal chauffeurs. Regardless, you wanted a license to be more independent. To stop their reign over you one step at a time. The result is you barely knowing how to drive but knowing enough that you can stand on your own.

"Not many people drive in Korea," a male voice says from behind you. Mere moments after, a weight is added to the stairs, your heart fluttering despite yourself. "Public transportation is good enough we don't need to, not to mention traffic's terrible in Seoul. Are you suicidal?"