Soulmates

Jimin stares at Tae with raised brows, trying to piece together what could possibly be going on inside his best friend's mind. Tae, noticing his gaze, sighs. 

"We should go check on Y/n," he mumbles. However, before he can leave their shared room, Jimin reaches out and grabs his elbow. Tae stays still for a few moments. 

"Sit," Jimin says. Tae, although reluctant, eventually does.

The weight added to the bed almost makes Jimin's small body bounce, his legs shuddering from the impact. That's how it's been nowadays. The smallest things are starting to make him tremble. He wish he knew why. 

"Why is my best friend always happy around Y/n, but as soon as we're alone, that façade drops?" Jimin asks, speaking their native Italian in hopes it'll help Tae relax more.

"It's nothing I won't get over. I'm just worried about when the trial will come, that's all," Tae replies. 

Jimin places a heavy hand on his shoulder. "I've seen you in your best and worst moments. Why lie to me now?" Tae goes stiff. "We've come this far. Come on, Tae. I can see right through you. You like her, don't you?" 

Tae almost cries as soon as the words leave Jimin's lips. "She's supposed to be our best friend; our assignment. How the hell do I focus when all I feel around her is my heart? I've never felt like this before, as dramatic as that sounds," he whispers. "But here I am, fawning for not only my assignment, but for a girl who's already taken by a man who'll always be better than me." 

"Hey, come on, don't say that," Jimin says, giving his shoulder a small massage. "Jungkook will take care of her. He'll protect her, you and I both know that, but please don't compare yourself to a guy we haven't even talked to that much. A man who doesn't know our real names. You don't need to compare yourself to anyone. You're you, and that's more than enough for me. More than enough for Y/n, too. We love you, Tae. Please, please don't look down on yourself so much. The more you look down, the more focus you lose."

Tae sniffles and meets Jimin's eyes. The best friends stare for a few seconds, then, Tae embraces Jimin. Jimin lets out a small breath and hugs him back, cherishing the feeling of having his favorite person in the world in his arms. 

On the outside looking in, their friendship looks like much more than a friendship, and that's the truth. Jimin and Tae have been through more than anyone can imagine. That's why they're always there for each other, why they're always the first they go to. 

Jimin's seen Tae bawling his eyes out and screaming about how he doesn't want to live. Tae's seen Jimin pass out from the pressures he put on himself. Tae's seen Jimin almost die from that pressure.

Tae pulls back with a small breath. Jimin can't tell if it's from annoyance, relief, or a mix of both. "I hate feelings," he says. Okay, so it was annoyance. "I've tried to ignore them, but every time I try, she does something cute that makes my heart beat faster. It's like I can't get her off my mind anymore, and I know it's not because she's my job. Jimin, I haven't felt like this in years. I don't know what to do."

Jimin wraps an arm around his shoulder and sighs, glancing up at the ceiling. "We can't really help it," he admits. "Feelings can't be controlled, you and I both know that." Tae keeps his eyes on the wall while Jimin brings his back down. "Hey, please don't beat yourself up over this. Please? For me?" 

Tae finally cracks a small smile, leaning in to accept Jimin's warmth. "I like her, Min," he whispers. 

"I know," Jimin replies. Tae lets a soft sigh pass his chapped lips.

"But I can't have her. I can't now, and I know I never will..."

~~~

Jungkook strokes her locks, the girl all curled up on his chest. Last night was probably the most amazing night of his life. Okay, he sounds dramatic, but it's true. Having a beautiful woman under him, staying with him, cuddling with him? It's the best feeling ever. He doesn't mean to sound like a 'simp' as Yuri would call him, but right now, he sure as hell feels like one.