Jae

Jimin watches her put on her shirt, the girl sighing as she does so

Jimin watches her put on her shirt, the girl sighing as she does so. "I don't know what's going on with you lately, but this isn't helping," he says. 

She shakes him off as she adjusts her uniform. "Getting an extra shift never hurt anyone. More money, right?" 

"Problem is I have to come with you," he says with a huff. 

"Tae could." 

"He could, but he deserves a break. He's been doing most of the hard work, it's my turn to let him relax."

She shrugs and makes sure her pants are buttoned and zipped before slipping into her work shoes. Jimin stands, going over and grabbing her elbow before she can start for the door. She sighs, reluctantly turning to face him. His deep, caring eyes bore right into hers. 

"Talk to me. I'm not your bodyguard right now, Y/n. I'm your friend." 

She softly smiles, but he can see the pain hiding behind it. "Probably my best one," she whispers.

He guides her to the bed, the two sitting side-by-side. Jimin's quick to take both her hands and hold them on his lap. "What's going on?" he asks. 

She keeps her gaze on their entwined hands. "I don't know what's going on either." 

"Is it the trial? We don't have a date, no one's contacted Tae or me yet. We're still safe." 

"Are we?" she asks, glancing up at him, "does that really mean we're safe?"

Jimin slumps his shoulders,. "No, I guess it doesn't." 

There's a moment of silence. "I was twelve," she whispers, "twelve when my parents had a nice family dinner. It was the first time in a long time that I felt accepted by them. Like we were actually a family and not strangers living under the same roof. Then one of their prisoners escaped from the basement and ran in not knowing we were there. They just... shot him. Right in the head, and right in front of me. No hesitation, no remorse. Only a second later my dad called a guy to get the body cleaned and went back to eating. The day after that, I started working toward getting away.

"And now I'm finally away, finally here, ready to take them down for good, but at the end of it all I'm still not sure what the fuck to do. I was so worried about getting here that what comes after never concerned me. I'm so fucking lost, Jimin. I don't know who I am. My whole personality and life was built off of taking them down. Do I even like anything? Do I dislike anything? How would I know? I didn't watch movies or listen to music, I didn't even draw or paint or write. My job was just a distraction. Hell, I didn't even like anything science or math-related. All I wanted was to bring them down. Who I was didn't matter. It never did."

Jimin slips one hand out of hers to instead brush a strand of hair behind her ear. When he's done, he rests his hand on her cheek. "You don't need to know. We have time for you to figure that out. You don't have to have insane interests or hobbies to be interesting, Y/n. You're interesting enough to me."