37

Bettys POV
I fixed up my hair and fluffed it up a bit as I finished applying lipstick and smiled at myself.

My mom asked me "awww don't you look beautiful?"

I smiled and she said "have fun at the party okay? I expect you to be home as soon as you can, Charles will try to get home as early as he can but no promises, and your father and I will be working at the newspaper till god knows how long with this crazy town."

I smiled and she smiled back and kissed my forehead.

I went downstairs in a small pink dress as my dad opened the door and I saw Jughead standing there in a nice suit.

I smiled and he smiled back seeing me as I said "I thought we were gonna meet there?"

He smiled and nodded "I know...but I wanted to be a gentlemen and pick you up."

I blushed at his words and said "alright, well, I'll be home as soon as I can."

I hugged my parents and took Jugheads arm and left.

We parked his truck and got out as he opened an umbrella as it began raining and covered us.

"Wow, you came prepared."

He smiled and nodded as we locked arms and walked into the venue. Once we got inside we found our table and saw Kevin, Cheryl, a few other kids from shook. I went over and set down the gift I brought with but loads off others Veronica had been given.

Veronica spotted me and walked over and hugged me "thank you for coming! You look so pretty!"

I smiled and she looked at the table mentioning "you brought Jughead! So are you getting back together?"

I laughed out "honestly I'm not sure..."

She huffed and said "come on! You are clearly wanting to get back. Just go and do it!"

I thought about it as she said "enjoy the food, music and all. This birthday is gonna have the best night of her life."

I smiled and she walked away as I went back over to the table and Jughead and I sat down. Jughead looked back over at Joaquin, then both being serpents was a clear indicator.

As the night went along as planned Jughead and I danced once or twice, he definitely ate a lot which I found funny because he got a kinda messy.

After a while I had gotten us some cake but sake him talking with Joaquin in the corner. They both began to head towards an exit and I looked at the cakes and set them down on the table and tried to catch up to them.

Thankfully I made it past the dozens of people and shouted "Jughead!"

He stopped and turned around as I asked him "where are you going? The party's not over."

He frowned and explained "I've gotta go."

I grabbed his arm saying "you serisouly were just gonna leave without saying goodbye?"

He groaned and I said "I can't believe I thought you actually wanted to work things out!"

He shouted "don't you think I want to!? Betty I come from a world that will target the only thing I love most! Because it is my weakness, the only way I may kneel to them. And it's not my mom, it's not my dad."

I looked at him and stood silent for a few seconds until I muttered "it's me..."

He sighed and I said "let me go with you..."

He scoffed out "you're joking right?"

I said "come on Jughead! I don't care what the stakes are! Please? It's not like you're gonna let anyone hurt me."

He sighed and said "fine."

I smiled and he took my hand and we left.

We arrived at a drop point and Joaquin looked around "the guy said he would be here."

I was confused till we heard "hello?"

We saw a old man walking to us as Jughead held me back and Jughead told him "you called Joaquin, told him about a serpent roaming around these areas?"

The man nodded "yup. His arrivals reignited a few weeks after September but I remember him from the year before that meeting a women with blonde hair, now it's a man with black hair. They leave various items around here. But one thing caught my eye in particular."

He walked over to a bush and began rustling through the branches and pulled out a bag with bloody weapons.

"I had wanted to turn these suckers in but to hell will I engage with the damn police."

Jughead nodded as Joaquin got on some gloves looking inside seeing a knife and gun.

"These were the ones used in the Smith murders...the ones they never recovered."

Jughead sighed and asked "who did you see if you kind me asking?"

The man said "it was definitely a serpent, had one of them jackets...long hair, long beard, seemed like a loner looking for trouble."

Jughead than added "was this gentleman perhaps tall? Taller than an average person?"

The man nodded "oh yes, quite tall."

Jughead scoffed and looked at the bag saying "Joaquin put it in a box we're taking that to Detective Cooper."

I smiled and he grabbed my arm and we began leaving.

We got to the Southside and to his dad and moms trailer as I told him before he got out "maybe I should stay in here..."

He looked at me and I frowned as he told me "no, no. Come on."

I sighed and he got out and I grabbed the box with the stuff inside. I got out of the truck as I grabbed the box and Jughead opened the door and his parents saw us come in and they immediately stood up watching me.

"Hello Mr and Mrs Jones..."

I shakeningly spoke and Jughead said "don't get upset. We found something, actual evidence that can probably take down Penny...or at least the guy who's working for her."

His parents looked at him as if he were crazy and Jughead explained "it's been Tallboy! He's been seen out and about helping Penny and then Malachai afterwords. He's not trying to keep us safe, but destroy us from the inside out."

I sighed and told them "and with this...their is clear sign of wanting to conceal it...my brother can test it and it will most likely have DNA if not Penny, someone guilty like Tallboy or Malachai..."

They both looked back at Jughead and I sighed. "I may take this box to my brother so he can get it in for examination before any other cops try and manipulate the system."

They looked at one another and I stared at the box and looked to Jughead.