-13-

Y/n woke up with a gnawing hunger, her stomach has been making noises

Y/n woke up with a gnawing hunger, her stomach has been making noises. She still dressed up, hoping that today she will get to eat breakfast. But she knows she will not.

She hesitated, believing breakfast was out of the question, as Namjoon had slipped out of the room last night again.

And it was, Mrs. Jeon told Y/n to not show up at dining.

Yet, to her surprise, he called out to her, urging her to join them for breakfast.

"Elara, come and eat with us," Namjoon said, his voice gentle but firm. She was hesitant and his mother was eyeing her too.

He held her hand, and brought her to the table. Jungkook Looked at them.

"Eat Elara." Namjoon said. She nodded her head. She was indeed hungry. "Whether I am home or not, I don't want her to skip meals."

"You weren't in the room last night, Namjoon." His mother asked.

A small smile played on Namjoon's lips as he replied, "I had some work to finish. That's all, Mom."

His mother's expression softened, but she remained silent. Y/n felt a relief, if he had told her the truth that would have made her mad.

As Namjoon prepared to leave for work, Y/n followed him to the door.

"Thank you, Namjoon," she murmured softly, her eyes meeting him.

He stepped closer to her. "So should I come home early today?"

"I-"

He held her chin and kissed her lips. He pulled back and smiled. "Mom is watching us." He patted her head."You take care,"

Y/n watched him leave. As she turned to re-enter the house, she caught Namjoon's mother's eyes staring at her.

Y/n's mother-in-law peered through the window, gesturing towards the lawn blanketed with autumn leaves.

"Y/n, could you please clean up the lawn? It's getting messy out there," she called out with a hint of urgency in her voice.

"Why do you have maid-"

"Don't talk back." She said firmly. "I see you told Namjoon, what do you want? You want my son against me? You want him to hate your mother? Is that what you want?"

She stepped closer to Y/n and held her chin. "I feel something happened last night, did it? But he left after almost an hour. That is a great insult for you as a wife. Isn't it?"

She told Y/n to leave and work. When she stepped out she felt the chilly cold. It was really cold where they live.

And the cold air nipped at her skin, sending shivers down their spine.

Y/n started to work, as she gathered the leaves, her fingers grew numb.
__