Chapter 9

| October 22nd | Wednesday |

Two weeks have passed and I'm currently again in art class. The lesson is starting soon but Samantha hasn't shown up yet. I actually haven't seen her since Monday. She also wasn't in English class, so maybe she's sick?

But then just when the bell rings she walks in. I smile at that in relief. Her eyes lock with mine and a small smile appears on her face. But my eyes widen when she goes to sit down next to me. "Good morning." Samantha greets me softly before taking off her jacket and putting it around her chair. "Uhm..good morning." I reply with a nervous smile, making her snort. "You good?" She asks with a chuckle as she takes out her phone. I look around to see if someone's looking at us and to my luck, some students are. They're obviously confused why Samantha's with me.

"You're not worried about your reputation and social status? I mean..being seen with me isn't the coolest thing, I suppose." I mumble while leaning back in the seat, turning my head to look over at her. "I don't care about stuff like that. You're cool and I like you, so why would I care what others think with who I hang out?" Samantha answers with a small shrug. Then she looks up at me with a crooked smile, making my heart skip a beat.

We've been friends for over two weeks now and I'm so..happy. Let's just say the crush didn't go away at all, it only got stronger. Moments like this makes me want her even more and more. And it makes me sometimes belief that we maybe could be more someday. I know the things she says can be meant in a friendly way but the way she says it and the way she looks at me makes me think differently.

"You're really something, Samantha White." I mumble while slightly shaking my head with a smile and she chuckles softly at that. Right then Mrs. Dean walks inside and starts the lesson. "Since you're all busy with your project now, in today's lesson you'll have time to gather some materials to build your house and plan everything. While you get your materials I'll get the saws and the other tools." She tells us and some students get instantly up and go to the supplies closet.

"Wanna look for some material together?" I suggest as I turn to look to Samantha. "Nah." She answers before getting up and walking towards the supplies closet. "Wha-" I turn in my chair to look her walk away in schock. Samantha looks back at me and chuckles. "You coming?" She asks with a grin, which makes me snort while rolling my eyes. "Fuck you." I mutter grumpily as I walk past her, into the supplies closet. Behind me I can hear her laugh and I smile at that.

"Can you grab some of those wooden planks?" Samantha asks and I give her a thumbs up before waking past some students to get to them. As I look for them I can hear some girls talk to Samantha. I think I've seen them before, they're also on the cheerleading team. "So..you're partnered up with Luz, huh?" I hear one of them ask and the other chuckle.

My heart skips a beat at that. While I don't really care what people think of me, hearing it right then and there still hurts a little. And while I don't care if people like me or not I can't help but want Samantha's friends to like me.

I act like I'm not listening but I already feel nauseous and they haven't even started talking. "Oh yeah, we're partnered up." Samantha answers casually, not really showing any kind of emotion towards it. "How is it? Isn't she like a big nerd? Bet she could do all the work for you. You just need to play your cards right." The other girls says, which makes me gulp. I feel sick. Is this what people think of me? I know they're just popular kids, who'll hate on anyone they see, but it still hurts.

I can't listen to this anymore. So I grab some of the wooden planks and sticks before leaving the supplies closet, brushing past them. I can hear the girls laugh behind me. I didn't dare to look at Samantha. I just put the stuff on our big table and then walk up to the teachers desk to take a saw. After I walk back to my place I take out my rules and pencil to mark where I have to saw the wood.

"Hey, you okay?" I suddenly hear Samantha's voice but I don't look at her. I just hum in response as I draw the lines, my left hand on the plank with a rules and my right holding the pencil. "Look- I don't agree with what Lisa and Ashley said." She tells me while stepping closer to me but I still won't look at her. "You don't have to explain yourself. I get that not everyone likes me, I don't care. " I reassure her and finally look up at her, giving her a small fake smile, which is obviously fake.

"But I do." She says, on which I immediately look back up to her. "I don't care what others think of me. I like being your project partner and hanging out with you. And that's what I told them too." Samantha says softly and my eyes widen at that shocked. But then my eyes soften. "I'm sorry, I probably just overreacted." I mumble embarrassedly but she shakes her head at that. "Don't apologize, I get it. Some of my friends are just very judgmental. I bet if they knew you they'd like you." She tells me and I slightly chuckle at that. "Maybe."

A comfortable silence falls over us as we work on our project. But after a few minutes she speaks up again. "So..I'm throwing a Halloween party at my place and wanted to ask if you'd like to come?" Samantha asks with grin, which makes me smile. "Sure. But can I bring my friends too?" I reply and she nods at that. "Sure."