Epilogue

May 2024 - Amelie's POV

"Not again." I mutter to myself, I can't be missing another great tournament. Not after missing the Euros two years ago. This can't be real, I can't be missing the Olympics. In my own country of all places. I look at myself in the mirror as if it could confirm that this is all a big joke. 

It isn't. 

I watch my wrapped up shoulder. 

A broken clavicle. 

The duel I was fighting on the pitch seemed harmless. It was harmless. Yet I managed to fall on my shoulder, breaking my clavicle in the process. That one stupid fight for the ball managed to take away all the chances I had on playing at the Olympics. 

But acting if that was the only reason that I wouldn't be playing in the Olympics would be lying to myself. It was one of the reasons. I don't even know if I would've been selected at all, as I haven't been playing that much this season. And on top of that, I could be pregnant. 

Why the fuck does my life always have to be complicated. 

I take another deep breath, my Barcelona apartment suddenly feeling very empty and lonely. I open one of the drawers from my bathroom cabinet, taking out a pregnancy test. I always have some, just in case. You know just to confirm that I'm just late and not pregnant. It would be a worst case scenario. 

But honestly I couldn't care less if I were to be pregnant right now. They said that my shoulder needs surgery, and that it would take up to six months anyway. 

Slowly I make my way to the toilet, ripping the paper around the test from it. I do as said, leaving it on the sink as I go to make myself ready. I need to be at the club anyway. Physio has to check me out, make sure that I still need the surgery. Make sure that nothing has changed since yesterday. 

How could it have, I laid in bed, got ready and go to the club again. It's not as if I could potentially get some sleep with the pain I was feeling. 

I put one of Charles' oversized hoodies over my head. Thankful that he had left that here, before travelling to Italy for some sim-sessions. He's supposed to return tonight, the Spanish GP being this weekend. Charles choosing to stay in my apartment rather than a hotel, claiming my bed was better anyway. 

I'm not sure if he'll still think the same if this test says what I think it'll be saying. 

I take a few deep breaths, before turning over the test. My suspicions immediately being confirmed. 

 Pregnant. 

 Fuck.

*** 

Getting into the car alongside Charles after a rough physical therapy session felt great. I hadn't told anyone about the information I learned this morning. I thought Charles should be the first to hear. It's his child too. 

Charles drives us back to my apartment, the two of us climbing out the car as we walk up the stairs. I'm holding a small bag of groceries, carrying to the apartment as Charles drags his suitcase to my bedroom. 

"So, how long does this injury take?" He wonders as he puts the pasta with the sauce, making it a proper meal. 

"Usually, 4-6 months. In my case it might take a bit longer." I say taking a bite of the delicious food, my body craving nutrients. 

"Why?" 

"Because there's somethings that'll make it about 12-15 months." I mutter, holding the pregnancy test in my hand under the table, trying to prolong telling him. 

"That makes no sense, why is your injury taking three times as long as it's supposed to?" Confusion lacing his voice as he looks at me. Looking for an explanation, something to make sense of all this. 

"Because it's not just the broken clavicle." I say as I put the pregnancy test on the dinner table. 

"Is this yours?" Charles looks up even more confused than before, slowly he takes the test, his eyes registering what they're seeing. I nod as an answer to his question. "You're pregnant?" A careful smile appearing on his face. 

"I think I am yes. I took this early this morning." I tell him carefully, scared that I might start crying at the thought of not being able to play football for more than a year. 

"We're gonna be parents?" He whispers, his eyes glossy. 

"I think so." I tell him, before I can feel his arms wrap around my body. 

"But how, you're on the pill." He suddenly wonders. 

"There's always a slim chance, let's be happy it happened to us. We've got the means to raise a child." I simply point out, although I'm not sure I've even gotten used to the idea. 

-------------------------

July 2027 - Charles's POV

"Come on, Anna." I mutter to my now 2 year-old daughter. "Come here, so we can get ready to go and see mommy." 

"I wanna play." Kicking the foam football Amelie bought for her, because according to Amelie there was no way her kid was going to be a race car driver. And she was right, because wherever we'd go, the foam ball would come with. 

"You can play in the stadium." I point out, getting slightly frustrated with her. We were due to be at the stadium anytime now. France playing the World Cup final against host country the Netherlands. "You need to put on shoes now." 

When she clearly doesn't want to do that, I pick her up from the ground and setting her on my lap so I can put her tiny sneakers on. The tiny France jersey looking great on her. "Grab your ball Anna, uncle Pierre is downstairs."

At the mention of her uncle she looks up at me grinning, as I pick her up and we make our way to the exit of the hotel. As always plenty of fans have gathered at the entrance, and the little star Anna is, she tries to wave at every single one of them. 

The match itself was one that meant a lot to Amelie, and I new that. Coming back from a pregnancy and reach your old level is not easy in football. But she did it, and now she was playing a world cup final as the country's captain. The pride I felt when she was playing was enormous. Anna wasn't up to the task to follow a whole match yet, but I was grateful that we were sat in a skybox. Anna could roam around freely, and kick her ball around. "Look auntie Kika, I'm just like mommy." She laughs kicking the ball at Kika. Someone she's grown to adore as well. 

As soon as the final whistle blows, we all raise to our feet to cheer. France having won the women's world cup. All of us make our way down the stands and towards the side of the pitch. All players celebrating on the field, but as soon as they notice their families near the pitch they al make their way to us. 

"Mommy, i wanna play." Anna says as soon as Amelie picks her up. 

"Both of you can come and play." She says smiling, holding her hand out for me so I can step over the boarding. Anna running over the pitch kicking the ball as far as her tiny feet could get it. I look down at Amelie with a proud smile on my face, realising this is it. 

This is the moment, the girl and the family I want to spend the rest of my life with. 

I put my hand into the pocket of the jacket I was wearing, releasing Amelie's hand in the proces as I get down on my knee. Amelie immediately noticing the gesture, a shocked look on her face. 

"I'm just as shocked as you are, I hadn't even planned on when I'd do it." I tell her smiling up at her. "But here I am, sitting on one knee. Because I just realised that I want you, us, our little family for the rest of my life. So Amelie would you please do me the honour of marrying me?" Tears stream down her face as she heavily nods. I jump up to kiss her before placing the engagement ring on her finger and wrapping my arms around her. I can feel the tiny arms of Anna wrapping around my legs, breaking my embrace with Amelie only to make it a family hug. 

And that's it. Like this I love life, and life loves us. It's perfect, it's us.