Chapter 2

POV : Max

I wake up early to be ready on time for the free practices here in Monaco. It's a very particular track, where overtaking is almost impossible, so the qualifications here are one of the most important part of the Grand Prix. I know we have a good car and I'm quite happy with the pace, but we're still adjusting some details and for that reason the free practices are essential.

I put on my dark blue shirt with all the sponsors, shoes and cap and head out towards the building where all of the Redbull team is currently working. As I'm greeting everyone, I remember my conversation with the Monégasque driver and feel upset again. But my thoughts are interrupted by my teammate, that we affectionately call Checo.

— Hello Max! Are you ready for today? It looks like they finished with the cars so we can start to prepare already. He tells me in his strong Mexican accent

— Oh okay that's good to know thanks! I try not to sound too exasperate but I usually have a hard time processing my emotions and it can come across a bit... disrespectful sometimes but I don't really care.

I proceed with my routine and stop thinking about anything else than the future race. When I'm focused, nothing can make me lose that concentration and I can even become a bit "scary" sometimes, but I always want to do my best and achieve perfection.

Someone tells me that free practices start in 30 minutes and I quickly check social media, smiling at the picture that Daniel took of Lando, Carlos, Charles and I yesterday evening. Even if I refuse to admit it, it was actually really nice to share that moment with them and especially with my nemesis, the driver "driving" me crazy recently. I liked the picture and then send it to the Monégasque, commenting to him in a joking way: "we look like two newly-weds couples here mate, smiling in the sunset like a romantic movie 😂" and press send. I actually don't know how he'll react because I never made jokes like this one with him but I mean, if that could destabilize him for the practices, it could be great for me so... nothing to lose here!

And with that mindset, I let my phone in my room and put on my racing suit, adding the balaclava on my way to the car. "Only five minutes before the start" tells me my engineer and we continue working on the settings as I hop into the seat, now wearing my helmet. The weather's nice and it's perfect, I feel good with the car, ready to go.

Once we are given the permission, the mechanics help me get the car out of the pit and I start heating the engine, slowly heading towards the track. I can feel the adrenaline rushing through me and I love it even more when I see the red car just behind me in the pit lane, with a big 16 written on it. I want to talk to him but with the motors noise it's nearly impossible so I just focus and tell myself: "okay, Max, now no mistake, fast lap, you're in Monaco and you will crush Charles in his hometown". I really want to win my first Monaco GP before him, that would be so... powerful.

Anyway, these are just free practices for now, and I start accelerating, taking the lead in these narrow turns. We finish FP1 and I'm quite happy with it but not entirely, because I ended up behind my teammate and Carlos. I feel sorry for Charles though, because he had some mechanical problem and finished last. But I know he'll quickly recover and might get even better because of this for the next one. I get out of the car, stretching my muscles and taking my water bottle. As I turn around to talk about the car and how it felt with my mechanics, a red silhouette in the back catches my eyes and I come a bit closer to see that it is, in fact, Charles.

— Hey! Will the car be driveable for practice two? I ask, a bit sad to the idea of maybe not being able to compete against him today

— Oh hi Max! actually it's just some gearbox issue that we need to change probably but nothing too important. You can be sure that I wouldn't miss the opportunity to race here!