Chapter 1

POV : Charles

I was playing the piano in my house, feeling happy to be back home here in Monaco for the 2021 season. Tomorrow, it was the first free practices and everything seemed to be okay so I was really hopeful to win here. But right now, I was only focused on my music, relaxing and thinking about... something else. Or maybe someone... Anyway.

As I was starting to daydream again, a sudden call on my phone made me stop my activities and answer:

— Hello ?

— Hey Charles! I just arrived at the hotel, I was wondering if you would like to spend time together here in your hometown?

— Oh that's a wonderful idea Carlos, I say honestly, then what do you think of me showing you the city with a ride?

— Oh no, I hate being the codriver... But I'll make an effort for you ShaRlees

— Alright mate I'll be there in 20 minutes or something!

As I hang up the phone, I smile and start to get ready. My relationship with Carlos is only starting to feel a bit more natural, as the connection he had (or still has) with Lando made me feel a bit like I wasn't enough. In addition, we are super competitive against each other so... It makes it harder sometimes to bond and feel comfortable, but he has a really nice personality and I like how we are pushing each other forward. I then take my sunglasses and keys, and head out through the door.

As I drive through the streets of my beloved city, I receive multiple greetings and celebrations from fans, and it feels nice to feel so loved here. As I pull off in front of the hotel, I see the "smooth operator" coming towards the car and wave at him.

— Hey mate, ready for this week?

— More than ever! He replies with a strong Spanish accent

— Perfect then! Well, I'm going to show you all the places where I grew up and where my family lives, and then maybe we can go and do something, but I still don't know what, we'll see, if that's okay with you!

— Yes, you are the guide and I follow today, he gestures our roles at the same time

Soon enough, we start chatting while I drive him all around the city, enjoying the perfect weather. We throw some jokes here and there, and the feeling is really nice, as I can see that he really is interested and paying attention to what I tell him.

— And here we go, we're back where we started! So, Carlos, I say turning to him, did you enjoy this very private tour of Monaco?

He chuckles and answers:

— It wasn't too bad yeah, for once being the codriver was quite nice! What do we do now? We still got a bit of time before the evening.

— I was thinking maybe we could ask other drivers if they want to meet and spend a bit of time with us? I know a place that is beautiful at night here... only if you want though.

— Oh that's great yeah! Who are you thinking of?

— Mhh... Well, I know some of them can't come because they're busy but maybe Max, Daniel, Lando? Something like this?

As I pronounce the name of his former teammate, I see Carlos' eyes light up and tell myself that he definitely looks really happy.

— Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun!

With his approbation, I start sending the messages and almost instantly get the replies.

— Hmm so... Max said it was okay for him and that I needed to send him the location. Oh and he added that he will still be there before us because he's faster. Ah. This little shit. Anyway. Oh and Lando replied with a picture of Daniel and him and he captioned it saying that they were coming.