29.

New Friends

We arrived at the pizza shop

We arrived at the pizza shop. It was a big tall building. The first floor contained the shop itself, but I bet the second floor would be storage for the shop. The outside of the shop was red and in big bold letters wrote 'Joe's' outside.

"I need to go to the bathroom. Just get a table and I'll be back," I said.

"Okay, you sure?" Dane asked. He knew I didn't like going to the bathroom by myself, but since Owen was here. I didn't want him by himself.

"I'm okay," I smiled, not showing my teeth, but still was genuine.

I walked myself to the bathroom. After using the restroom, I touched up my makeup and walked myself back to the table.

"Nice spot," I said, sitting down next to Owen in the booth. Dane was sitting in front of us in a black wooden chair.

"Owen picked it," replied Dane.

"Nice job, sweetie!" I kissed his forehead and rub his hair; messing it up.

"Mom!" he complained, fixing his hair.

"You don't love me anymore?" I questioned, frowning.

"Mom, guys from my school are here. You can do that." His eyes moved, looking at the group of boys who were sitting with their moms.

"Do you want to go say hi?" I asked. He shook his head immediately. I frowned again.

"Are they your friends?" Dane asked.

Owen didn't say anything. He didn't show any emotion.

"Hello guys! What can I get for you today?" the waiter asked, interrupting the conversation.

"We're going to have the medium plain pizza and the salad, please." I said, handing her back our menus.

"Okay! It will be right out," she smiled and walked away.

"Mom, can we maybe go to Barns and Noble, so I can get a new Lego set? I've been saving up!" Owen grinned, showing me his baby teeth.

"Oh course, if you finish your pizza and salad we can go." I said.

"Okay,"

I couldn't say no. I knew exactly what those boys were doing. I knew it was harder for Owen to make friends. I was the exact same way, I still am for a matter of fact. But I don't want that for Owen.

I didn't know how I could make this situation any better.

"So, who are your friends at school?" I asked him, trying to be discreet about it.

"Umm...well there is this one kid, we both like football. We play together at recess." Owen explained.

"Really? Who wins?" Dean asked, drinking his non alcoholic beer.

"We both win. We don't keep track, we just like to play." Owen grinned.

"Well maybe one day during off season, I'll play with you two or anyone else." Dean said.

I looked at Dean. He was serious. He wanted too. Not because of me, but because he truly cared about Owen. More than his biological father has ever had. And that's how I know Dane is the one. Not just for me, but for Owen too.

"Really?!"

"Really,"

God I was going to jump his -

"Oh my God, can we get an autograph?" A little boy, one from the table, asked, staring up at Dane.

"Ugh, sure." Dane lightly smiled. You can't say no to a child, or anyone for that matter.

I held Owen's hand in mine, comforting him.

"Hi Matthew!" Owen greeted, waving.

"Oh, hey Owen. Why are you sitting with Dane Brown?" Matthew asked, barely glancing at Owen.

"Umm... well... he" Owen didn't know what to say.

"He's my son." Dane replied.

"Owen Faith is your son?" Matthew was in shock.

Me too.

Dane nodded.

Matthew gulped and ran away, his autograph paper in hand.

"I'm your son?" Owen's mouth was wide open.

"You feel like a son to me Owen, is that okay with you? If I do fatherly things? Like watching football with you, taking you to games, coaching your games, throwing a football around, teaching you how to treat others. Is that okay?" Dane asked, his eyes were forming tears, but he didn't let them fall.

On the other hand, I couldn't stop them.

Owen stood up from the table and made his way over to Dean. "Thank you Dean," Dean kissed his forehead.

"How about we finish up our food and go get you some Legos?" Dean suggested. Owen nodded his head and sat back in his seat.

~
When our food arrived, we ate and talked about our days. Just like we normally do, except for the burnt food on the stove that I would have to clean up when we got home.

But that didn't matter.

Because I was with my two most favorite people.

Dean wanted to pay, after all he did burn our dinner, so I allowed him too. We were walking towards the exit when someone shouted Owen's name.

"Owen!" We all turned, facing the person who shouted his name.

It was another kid, but this kid was different. His hair was dark orange, he had pale light skin, and he was shorter.

"Hey Hayden!"

"Mom this is who I was talking about!" Owen said. I smiled. I looked at Hayden's mother, she stood tall. She was in scrubs, telling me she worked in the medical field. She didn't have a ring on any of her fingers, but she could still be married.

"Hi! I'm Abby, Hayden's mother!" Abby  introduced herself.

"Hello! Im Amelia!" We shook hands.

"Mom can we have a sleepover, please!" Owen begged.

I looked towards Abby. She shrugged her shoulders, "We have no plans this weekend. I can give you my number?" She asked.

And so she did. Owen and Hayden would have a sleepover at Hayden's house this weekend.

After our interaction, Dane and I took Owen to barns and noble to pick out a Lego set. While we were there, I also got some new books. Aka, romance smut books, but no one has to know.

That's how the day ended. I wondered what the next day would bring.

 I wondered what the next day would bring