TWSS 39

Cataleya Lily Abadino

After a long and emotionally draining conversation with my dad, I decided to seek solace in the company of Naza. We made our way to the river that afternoon, accompanied by Everin, Hunter, Jupiter, and Ate. Nakaramdam ako ng awkwardness sa pagitan namin nila Jupiter at Ate. Hanggang sa makauwi kami, sila Naza lang ang maingay sa amin.

Natapos ang magulong araw kahapon at hindi pa rin natatahimik ang utak ko. In fact, the more I tried to make sense of everything, the more my thoughts spiraled into confusion. Tulad na lang na bakit wala akong makitang bakas ng sugat sa katawan ko? Kung nabangga ako, there should have been at least a mark or a bruise to show for it.

"Bes!" Lost in my thoughts, I was abruptly pulled back to reality when Everin appeared in front of me, breaking the silence that enveloped me.

"Bakit ka nag-iisa dito?" tanong niya habang umupo sa tabi ko.

Nandito ako ngayon sa kubo namin kung saan ang pananim namin. Nakatingin lang ako habang naglalakbay ang aking isipan sa mga natuklasan ko.

"So you're my bestfriend?" tanong ko sa kanya, tinitigan ko siya ng diretso sa mga mata niya.

"Oo, bakit ayaw mo ba?" pabiro niyang sagot.

​I shook my head. "Of course not. I'm just happy na may bestfriend pala ako."

Pareho kaming natahimik habang nakatingin sa harap namin. Hindi naman awkward, kundi komportable. It felt like there was always someone there for me, ready to save me at any time.

"Ang lungkot, 'no?" Everin suddenly broke the silence, her voice tinged with sadness. "Ako ang bestfriend mo pero nung mga oras na kailangan mo ng kasama, wala ako."

Lumingon ako sa kanya. Kahit na diretso lang ang kanyang tingin at may bahagyang ngiti, I could clearly see and feel her sadness. She didn't want things to turn out the way they did.

"Maybe there's a reason why it happened," sabi ko na lang.

It's true that things don't happen without a reason. Although we don't know the purpose of the events in our lives right now, there will come a day when we will understand everything.

"Yan, nakikita ko na ang bestfriend ko," Everin said, her gaze shifting to me as a warm smile graced her lips. "Sigurado akong ganyan din ang isasagot niya."

"Can you tell me what happened?" Seryoso kong tanong, my voice filled with desperation. I gently placed my hand on top of her right hand, which was resting on her side.

​She stays quiet, her gaze darting back and forth sa mga kamay namin na magkapatong. She was clearly torn between telling me what she knew and keeping it to herself. Ilang sandali pa ang tumagal when she finally exhaled a long, troubled sigh, as if carrying the weight of the entire earth.

"Please, bes. I need to know," I pleaded, my voice cracking with raw emotion.

Tumingin siya sa akin at nagtagpo ang aming mga mata. "May choice pa ba ako?" she said, a faint smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

Umupo siya ng maayos, inilapat ang kanyang ulo sa bintana. Her gaze turned distant, as if she was lost in her thoughts, searching for the right words.