I slowed down as I neared the study. The door was wide open, the room haloed by the glow of the morning light which streamed in through the tall windows on the far side of the room. Our coven leader and my mother - Sabine von Abendroth sat at her desk, her pen sliding gracefully along the page as she wrote something in her book. I stilled for a moment, the sense of unease returning to my gut as I second-guessed my decision.

But before I could announce myself, her soft voice carried across the room like a breeze. "Well? Don't just stand there... Come in..."

She continued to write, never once glancing in my direction as I hesitated in the doorway. Being one of the most powerful witches of our time, our leader had a reputation for being relentless when it came to something she wanted. She let nothing stand in her way and I wasn't one bit surprised that it was under her reign that our coven would finally find its feet.

"Was the trip worth our time or were we led astray once again?"

I cleared my throat and took a deep breath. "Yes, it was...I've found her."

The scratching sound of the pen stopped for a heartbeat before picking up again. "Are you certain?"

I swallowed anxiously, part from excitement and part from dread. "Yes"

She looked up then, her eyes studying me curiously as she placed her pen down on the table and gracefully stood up. "Show me"

Reflexively, I raised my arms and held them out. The binding spell that I had placed on Mia glowed a bright blue within my palms, connecting me to the human that was now hundreds of miles away from here. I watched nervously as our coven leader made her way towards me, her eyes fixed on the glowing light in my arms. Her face held no emotion, something I had grown used to over the years even though as a child I had longed to see her smile or offer a friendly glance in my direction. But our leader...my mother...wasn't one to indulge in emotions.

Shaking that feeling away, I braced myself as her soft hands slipped into mine and held firmly. The electricity surged between us immediately, linking our minds to allow the thoughts and memories to flow freely. Flashes of my interaction with Mia came charging forward; her sadness, confusion and fear, her desperate look of hope when she thought I could help... I winced internally at that particular memory. That look on her face had been hard to see...

I grit my teeth as our coven leader sifted through my memories. No witch or warlock would willingly subject themselves to such a process. It was not only painful but a powerful witch like my mother could permanently warp memories or destroy the mind altogether. I winced as she found what she was looking for and honed in.

Quickly, the memories shifted... Mia being kidnapped and brought into the Portland pack... her horror at learning about the shifter world and her fated mates... Mia being subjected to their sadistic cruelty...I felt the anger rise within myself on her behalf. How could these dogs call themselves her mate and treat her with such vindictive callousness?!

But these memories soon faded and gave away to other events and people in her adult life. Her job, her friends, lovers and others she had left behind. Her hopes and dreams and all her struggles that had made her into the woman she was today... A sadness descended in my heart as I watched her life flash before my eyes. There wasn't a lot of happiness there...just regrets and heartbreak...

The memories morphed once again and moved onto a little girl with big green eyes and an even bigger heart. Mia as a young child appeared gentle and kind.

This time however, I had to clench my hands tightly in order not to rip them away. These memories were grotesque, horror-inducing and downright sickening.