Chapter 51

My vision swam in and out of focus as I struggled to pick myself up from the floor. The impact against the hard wood had left my body aching while the side of my head, which Alex had ruthlessly slammed against the wall, throbbed painfully, like the beginnings of a vicious headache.

"GET UP!"

I jolted in alarm before falling back to the floor and wincing in pain. My body felt tender and sore, right along the side that had taken the brunt of the fall. And without careful examination, I could not be sure if something was broken.

"Did you not hear me, human?"

My body shook involuntarily as Alex's voice took on a dark undertone. It was a clear warning and a promise of violence, should I fail to fulfil his command. A threat, I understood all too well.

I tried to lift myself off the floor when my head gave a particularly nasty throb, foiling my attempt in the process. My eyes watered as the pain travelled to my temple and behind the sockets of my eye. Alex moved then, coming close as he bent down to my level. My breathing grew shallow and rapid with his every move until I felt him right beside me.

"I said...get...up"

Despite the fact that he did not yell this time, his words felt far more menacing and dangerous than before. And though I tried to stay calm, I could not help the bolt of fear that shot through my veins or the ice-cold shudder that travelled down my spine. Afterall, it is only a fool who would underestimate the words of a madman. And I for one, had no desire of learning the horrors that awaited me if I did not take him seriously. Cause deep down, I knew what Alex was after.

He was out for blood...my blood.

As that realisation sank in and my horrifying reality was laid bare, I felt a rush of adrenaline flood my system almost instantaneously. My heart pounded against my chest, my gut twisted as my body prepared to take flight because this was one fight, I knew I wasn't going to win.

Gritting my teeth against the pain, I placed my palms on the floor and pushed up, slowly rising before coming face to face with the demons who haunted my waking hours as well as my dreams.

Alex smiled wide with his arms outstretched on either side. "See, that wasn't too hard now, was it?"

I stared in silence, my eyes taking in each one of them.

Marcus appeared calm on the surface, though I could tell that there was an undercurrent of turbulent emotions roiling within, which he gave away when we made eye contact. His jaw seemed to twitch and his eyes flashed an amber gold before he deliberately turned away. James on the other hand, wore his emotions on his sleeve. His eyes danced between Alex and I, lingering for a few moments on my face before he too turned away with disgust written all over his face. Next came Kole who refused to even look in my direction but his whole body vibrated uncontrollably like he was on the edge of losing all control.

And finally, my eyes rested on Alex, who seemed to be enjoying himself a little too much. But I knew better. This, to him, was a show, a prelude to some sick and twisted grand finale. And there was only one way it was going to play out. His.

"Mia, Mia, Mia. What do we do with you...."

He let out an exaggerated sigh as he walked over to the desk and opened one of the drawers. Pulling out a cigar, he lit it before puffing deeply.

"...see, I told my brothers right from the start that you were nothing but trouble. That you were going to rip this family apart..." Walking back in my direction, he pointed at his brothers with the cigar. "...but my brothers here, had a bit of a soft spot for you. Especially, my baby brother Tommy. They all in some way bargained or negotiated on your behalf. But I knew that one day you would show your true colours. It's what you humans do best..."