Chapter 39

I showered quickly, all the while refusing to wallow in self-pity. Anger had failed me just as effectively as the pleading had done. And now, there was nothing left except a calming numbness in the realisation that there was no hope of ever changing my accursed fate.

I dressed in an almost mechanized way as I donned on a black pencil skirt and a white silk blouse, the movements lacking conscious thought or effort as a new sense of acceptance began to radiate throughout my being. How could I continue to fight when I was bound to lose every single time? It felt rather futile and senseless.

Finishing off with a splash of red on my lips and a pair of black pumps, I headed out of the room. Glancing around, I was surprised to find the chairs neatly put back in place and the mess from the soap water cleaned up. I didn't have to be a genius to figure out that James had probably done it but the demon himself, was nowhere to be found.

Heading out the front door, my eyes immediately fell on Liam waiting beside a black Rover with his hands crossed over his chest and his back resting against the car with a look of impatience on his face that was unusual for him.

"Hey."

Strangely, I did not receive a greeting in return. Nodding once in my direction, he climbed into the driver's seat while I hopped into the passenger side. Giving me a quick glance, he started the car and we headed off in the direction of the main gates past the packhouse. I felt extremely uncomfortable with the silence emanating in the space between us especially given the fact that I wasn't privy to the reason nor was I accustomed to Liam behaving this way.

We slowed down near the gate where we were joined by two more SUVs, one in the front and one taking up the rear. Although, I did not want to be the one to break this awkward silence, curiosity seemed to get the better of me.

"What's with the cars?"

Liam did not spare me a glance, his eyes fixed on the road as he answered in a curt but polite tone. "Security detail. We are leaving pack grounds, so we need them."

"Ah. Didn't realise my safety was of any concern."

I caught a glimpse of his old-self returning as he smirked, the corner of lips lifting in a small smile. "You are the Beta's mate after all."

"Hmm. Sure. And do you happen to know where your Beta is?"

That seemed to shut him back down as his expression shuttered and his lips pulled into a thin line. I sighed internally realising that Liam, in part at least, knew about the events that had transpired between Thomas and I. It was probably the reason for his odd behaviour and although I couldn't blame him for taking his friend's side, it hurt just a bit.

Turning to face the road, I watched the trees pass by as we followed the car ahead of us.

"So what is this trip about?"

"Not sure. I was asked to bring you to the HQ."

"Right."

Realising that I wasn't going to get much out of him, I succumbed back into silence. Leaning back against the soft leather seat, I closed my eyes, shutting everything out while I dozed in and out for the rest of the ride.

"We're here."

I jerked awake, turning quickly to look outside. I hadn't realised that I had fallen asleep but having had no proper rest for the last week, I wasn't entirely surprised.

We seemed to be parked in an underground basement with rows of fancy cars parked in the large space. My eyes landed on a yellow Lamborghini then on a McLaren wondering who owned them when Liam, noticing my gaze, gave me the answer.