Chapter 11

Thomas 

"I don't think that would be a wise move. It would draw too much attention from the humans. What do you think Tommy?"

"Thomas?"

Snapping my eyes up, I looked around the office. Every single pair of eyes was directed at me, as silence descended over the room. I hadn't realised that I had been staring at my phone, completely lost in my own world.

Looking over at James, who was now eyeing me with concern, I tried to quickly focus on what he had asked. Something about humans and attention?

Clearing my throat, I tried to salvage the situation. "Yes. We should avoid human attention."

James gave me an incredulous look and opened his mouth to say something but was cut off by a loud growl from Alex who was seated behind the desk. His eyes were narrowed into slits and his wolf was pushing through.

His voice held an irritation that we were all familiar with. Alex had a temper and zero patience.

"If your head is not in the game, then get the fuck out of here Beta. Do not think that just because you're my brother that I will tolerate you wasting my time! Do I make myself clear?"

The last sentence was doused in his Alpha tone making me bow my head down in respect.

"Yes Alpha"

After that, the rest of the meeting carried on without a hitch, although I did feel embarrassed at being called out like that. Never in my entire existence did my duty to my pack come second but ever since Mia, nothing held my attention.

Being away from her was agony at this point. It had been a week since we had met and I hadn't heard anything from her. At times, I wondered if she even felt the bond. Or if she didn't see the note with my number. Or whether I did or said something wrong. I thought about everything and nothing to the point where I was driving myself and my wolf utterly crazy.

Hearing footsteps behind me, I turned around. Walking across the grass towards me was Liam, our Gamma. Turning back around, I faced the trees against the darkening sky. Liam took a seat beside me and stared out in the same direction. We sat there in silence, watching the leaves sway in the wind.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?" His tone held concern and a genuine curiosity.

"I don't know what you mean"

He huffed out a laugh before turning to face me. "Tommy, we have known each other since we were pups. Practically grew up together like brothers. I know you."

His voice lowered as his wolf reached out to mine trying to remind me of our friendship and brotherhood. "You have been distracted, showing up late to meetings and trainings, staring off into space and acting really weird. So, stop fucking around and tell me what's wrong"

I let out a long breath that I hadn't realised I was holding. As dangerous as it was to talk about my mate with anyone, I wanted this weight lifted off my shoulders. I wanted another perspective because Goddess only knew what the fuck I was supposed to do.

Besides, if I could trust anyone then it would be Liam. Not even the love I had for my own brothers could come close when it came to the trust I had in this man. I would trust him with my life.

Clenching my fists to still my shaking hands, I took a deep breath before the plunge.

"I found my mate"

For about two seconds, I was greeted with absolute silence before the words began to spill out of him like vomit.

"Praise the goddess! Who is she? And how did you two meet? Was it during this trip? Is that why...."

Groaning, I pressed my finger tips to my temples to relieve the pressure in my head. "Liam! Calm the fuck down!"

"Hold on. Why do I get the feeling that you're not happy about this?"

Realising that it was pointless to back out now, I faced my best friend. "It's not like that. It's just...."

I proceeded to tell him everything. The first time I saw her, how I felt, our second meeting, our chat and finally finishing with the part about her not getting in touch with me. His face changed with every turn but the expression that he held when I mentioned that Mia was human was simply priceless.

"Wow dude. I don't know what to say"

I laughed in complete agreement. I had no clue either.

"I'm guessing you haven't told your brothers yet?"

And there it was. The dreaded question. All this time, I did not want to think about it. I had managed to push it to the back of my mind with some success. But I couldn't run from it anymore.

"I haven't"

Liam tensed and drew in a sharp breath. "Tommy, you are playing a very dangerous game. Have you considered the possibility that she could be your brother's mate as well?"

A feral growl ripped through me at the thought of my mate belonging to my brothers.

"She is mine!" I stared down Liam daring him to challenge my claim. My wolf felt murderous, ready to shed blood to protect what was rightfully his.

Bowing his head in respect, he raised his eyes to look at me.

"You need to calm down Tommy."

Turning my head away, I forced myself to take deep breaths. We sat in silence once again as we watched the last light fade from the sky.

Wanting to explain myself, I started in a relatively calm tone. "I don't think my brothers and I share a mate Liam. I mean, you know us. We may have been birthed at the same time but you know how different we are. We share nothing in common."

My mind triggered a memory where I had met some wolves that did not share a mate and I pointed that out to Liam.

"Besides, not all wolves born together share a mate. The twins in that pack in Louisiana don't share a mate. And the triplets in that small pack in Canada don't either."

Taking a deep breath, he looked at me, his eyes holding sympathy. "Yes. You're right. Not all wolves born together share a mate but the possibility is a 50/50. And what if she is meant for all of you? You have inadvertently dragged your brothers into the bond whether they realise it or not. And when they do there will be hell to pay"

My friend was right. If Mia belonged to all five of us, then I have kick started the mate bond on behalf of all of us. This could complicate things in a whole new way. But what could I do? I know that they have a right to meet their mate and a right to accept or reject the mate bond. And I also knew that if I went too deep into this, I would be effectively removing their choices which wouldn't be a good thing for everyone involved.

What was the alternative though?

Reject her and never see her again? Even the mere thought had me clutching my chest in pain. No. That was simply out of the question. Mia will be my mate and no one will stand in the way of that.

"They don't need to know."

Liam looked at me in shock. "You are out of your damn mind Tommy. You cannot possibly..."

"What other choice do I have? I need her Liam. And if my brothers find out, they will reject her or have her killed. Have you forgotten this pack's history?"

He did not answer me. Instead, he gazed up at the sky and sighed loudly.

"I don't have the answers for you Tommy but just know that I will always be here for you brother." Standing up, he laid a comforting hand on my shoulder before walking away.

And as the moon began to peek through in the sky, I let my wolf through before taking off in the direction of the trees.

Reaching a small clearing, he rested on his hind legs and looked up at the sky, yearning for his mate. And as my emotions peaked to the point of pain, he threw his head back and howled desperately, hoping that his mate would answer in return.