Chapter 14

Thomas 

Three fucking weeks! That's how long it had taken me to convince my Alpha brothers that I had to fly back to Manhattan. I had used the guise of a potential new business prospect and had gone to great lengths to make sure that my plan was foolproof in order to not raise any suspicions.

Being the youngest amongst us and the Third Beta to the pack, my brothers had no reason to suspect me in the first place but I couldn't take any chances when it came to my mate. Moreover, in my 132 years of existence, I had never given them a reason to doubt my honour and integrity to our pack.

But here I was! Lying and deceiving the Alphas! My own brothers! Aside from how difficult it is to mislead an Alpha; it is also considered treasonous. And in my pack, that would probably earn me a few months of torture in the dungeon.

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of punishment that I would have to endure if they found out the reason for my lies. My mate - A human.

Every single moment without her had been torture. It was hell trying to keep my head down and pretend that everything was alright. Liam had been true to his word and helped me when things had gotten out of hand. Especially that one night when I had lost control to my wolf. Liam had to lock me up just so I wouldn't take off to find my mate, tearing everything and anyone in my path.

And to make things worse, I also had to dodge the endless orgies that Kole was forcing me to participate in. One lie after another. They were piling up and I was beginning to dread the day when they would finally catch up to me. But I knew that given the chance, irrespective of the consequences, I would do it all over again for her.

But here she was! Half-naked with some human male and choosing him over me! It had taken every ounce of restraint to keep my wolf from tearing him to shreds. His open challenge was hard to ignore. But the look of horror on Mia's face was what had stopped me from causing any irreversible damage. That and the fact that I couldn't smell his seed on her. Had that been the case, I would have ripped out his cock and watched as he slowly bled to death.

I slammed my hands on the steering wheel as thoughts of the two of them together in bed played in my mind. Fuck!

After the blow up, I had been sitting here in my car all afternoon, contemplating on barging back in there. And although I desperately wanted to sort this out, there was no way that I would be able to see that male once again and not kill him. So, I decided to wait it out, hoping to catch her when she stepped out or when that human left.

I looked up as I spotted a cab pulling up near the entrance of the building. My eyes flicked to the time on the dash. 4.30 PM. Fuck! Nearly a whole day had gone by and that human bastard hadn't left her apartment. What were they doing? And as if in response to my thoughts, my mind once again flashed images of my mate naked and moaning in pleasure with that disgusting male on top of her.

I had to clutch my head in agony as my wolf let out a menacing snarl at that thought. And before I could fully recover, I was forced back to the present moment as the faint scent of my mate drifted in through the small crack of the open window.

Looking up quickly, I noticed the same pathetic excuse-of-a-male step towards the cab hauling a suitcase behind him. My wolf pushed through, seething that his mate's scent was on another male. Gripping the steering wheel hard, I forced myself to not react.

I watched as he loaded the suitcase in the trunk and got in the car. He was leaving? Perfect.

I jumped out of the car and raced towards the building. Walking down the corridor to her apartment, I felt nervous. My palms were clammy and my throat felt dry. At this point, it felt like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Not only did I have the problem of explaining my actions to her but thanks to my wolf, I also had to deal with a raging hard on. Fuck! After sensing a rival male, my wolf was hell bent on laying his claim on her for the whole world to see.

Adjusting my trousers slightly, I stood nervously outside her door. Gently knocking twice, I sent a silent prayer to the goddess hoping that this conversation would go down well.

I could hear light footsteps and her steady heartbeat as she got closer to the door. My own heart started to race with dreaded anticipation.

As the door opened, I was left speechless when her eyes locked with mine. Her beauty held me utterly captive. Green eyes that resembled a lush rain forest shown bright against her flawless olive skin. Her long dark hair cascaded down her shoulders in waves. A white tank top and a pair of sweats could not hide the perfect curves of her hourglass figure.

I groaned internally as I noticed the outline of her nipples through the top. My dick pulsed as my wolf purred his approval. No bra? This was going to be way harder than I thought.

"Ahem... What do you want Thomas?" She stood with her arms crossed, staring at me with an eyebrow raised.

I smiled, feeling sheepish. "Can we talk?"

"Why? So, you can feed me some more of your lies? Try and get in my pants? Or find some other friend of mine to beat up? Huh?" Anger marred her beautiful face as her tone steadily rose echoing in the quiet corridor.

I was stunned into silence at her outburst. Yes, I know I fucked up. But I didn't think she would be this mad. And lies? What lies? Whatever it was, I did not want to discuss it in the open. I took a deep breath and looked around before adding. "Can we not do this in the hallway?"

Her gorgeous eyes clashed with mine and her head tilted to the side, as if mulling over my request. After a few seconds, she stepped aside and let me in.

I closed the door behind me and stood awkwardly in the entryway as I remembered the events of the morning. In all honesty, I wasn't sorry that I had beat up the guy. I just didn't want her being upset with me or worse reject me over it.

"So, are you just going to stand there or are you going to explain why you acted like a barbarian this morning?"

My wolf whimpered noticing the coldness in his mate's tone. My own chest constricted at the thought that she may not forgive me.

Taking tentative steps towards the kitchen counter, I stopped a few paces away from where she was standing. Her potent wildflower scent doused in bitterness, permeated the space between us. I kept my voice low and apologetic, anxious about setting her off again. "About this morning... I shouldn't have acted like that. I'm really sorry"

A sarcastic laugh left her as she responded in a mocking tone. "You're sorry? That's it? Oh... That's alright then. Do whatever the fuck you want and just say sorry. And everybody else should just suck it up because it's the great Mr....."

I had heard enough. My wolf growled. Mate or not he wasn't going to take being berated for something that in his eyes was the right thing to do and I completely agreed. In my world, her precious "friend" would have ended up picking up his insides from off the floor.

"What do you expect me to do then? I come here after weeks only to find my mat... to find you barely clothed with a shirtless dude opening your front door! What the fuck am I supposed to think?"

"Think nothing! How is it your business what I do or who I have in my apartment anyway?"

She had me there. How was I to explain that she was only meant for me and that everything concerning her would by default concern me without giving away the big secret ?

"And... I also know about the job Thomas"

She studied me intensely as if waiting to catch a movement that would incriminate me and prove her right. I was confused. I had no idea where this was going.

"I don't understand. What are you talking about?"

Her eyes narrowed and I could tell that she did not believe a word I was saying.

"I know that I was supposed to be fired from the job in that first meeting. Ring any bells?"

Oh Shit!