Scoop trouble

Depuis le début

I picked up the wet stuff, stashed it in my bag, and went out again while pushing these thoughts away in the back of my mind.

***

As I finally stepped through the door of my home, a sense of relief washed over me. The rain had soaked me to the bone, and the cold had seeped into my very core. Closing the door behind me, I could feel the weight of the night's events gradually lifting from my shoulders. Not from my mind though, I was still worried. The only solace I had was that I made it home.

After I closed the main door of the apartment behind me, I took out the USB and stared at it.

This is a big big scoop....

I gulped,

This tiny thing in my hand has documents of drug dealings and the video shows the people involved in it..... I grasped it in my hands.

And Matthew Merikh is one of those people shown in the video.

I didn't get anything about him being The Head Hunter, but I got this. So, he's involved with the mafia? If he's in the mafia, he might just be a killer... But there's a difference between being with the mafia and being a serial killer....

I walked to the bathroom, taking the bag and the USB with me. I didn't see anyone outside but that should be expected since it's past midnight. But I'm still glad I didn't risk it and came back with the dress on.

I took out all the sloshing wet things from the bag and threw them in the washing machine which was under the sink, then I took off my clothes and threw them in the machine as well while I placed the USB on the sink shelf, then walked into the shower.

As the steaming water cascaded over me, I felt my body relax. The heat enveloped my tired muscles, easing the tension that had built up from running and evading throughout the night. The soothing sound of the water provided a comforting rhythm, drowning out the noise of the world outside.

As I closed my eyes, I allowed myself to process the events of the night and I wondered who that man was that gave me the USB. I guess I was lucky I was the one he crashed with, or this could have gone to anyone...

If I give all this info to Nolan, will I get to go back? I've only been here for a week but I can't seem to get comfortable.

Everyone's nice, yes, but I can't seem to shake off the feeling that there's something very dangerous around me.

***

>>Matthew

Azef came running to me as I entered the house.

"You really lost the woman!?!?" He looked at me in horror, "How!??"

"It's raining," I gritted my teeth, "Her scent was completely gone. Washed out!" I threw my coat on the floor as I stomped my way to the living room. I was frustrated as well, not because of what she took but because I wanted to know who she was.

"Shit..." Azef stood there for a few minutes then looked at me, "The Chinese mafia is not going to be happy with this," He said while I went and sat down on the three-seater couch.

"Like hell," I turned my upper body around and looked back at him, "They're going to lose it, The Jade tigers supply the largest amount of heroin to the black market here." I slumped at the back of the couch, "The documents and the video gets out, they'll be put on the blacklist."

"The establishment is ours though," Azef walked over to me, "If it gets out that the dealings take place in our buildings, we get in trouble as well." He sat down on the arm of the couch, "Plus," We looked at each other, "Aren't you in that video?"

He had a serious expression on, "Whoever that woman is, if she hands that over to the press, we're going into deep shit."

I nodded at him calmly, "We can handle this,"

"Zhou-lin, from the Jade Tigers was at tonight's party, right?"

I nodded, "That's the guy we need to worry about." I looked away, "If the news gets out, he will turn the world upside down to get his hands on that woman."

"Didn't you already give that guy to him? The one who originally stole those documents?"

"I did," I sighed, "And he's dead. He had already lost a lot of blood by the time he got caught. Zhou-lin didn't even do much and the guy passed off to the next life."

Azef slid towards the seat, "That woman is done for," He joined his hands together, "If Zhou-lin gets to her, I'll pray for her sorry soul." He let out a sarcastic chuckle, "This is going to be the greatest mistake of her lifetime."

I nodded, "He's not only going to torture her, he might even sell her to the prostitution ring." I sighed, "I hope she changes her mind and doesn't hand over that info to anybody."