The Summer Festival Date

Tanjiro wanted to get on with activities. All this waiting had made him impatient.

"Come on, Kanao! This will be fun!"

He grabbed her shoulder to pull her along unknowing that it would fluster her more than she already was.

So close...

. . .

Tanjiro and Kanao were walking through the festival both enjoying themselves. All the stalls around them were giving them a hard choice of what to do next.

"Should we get food first or play some festival games?"

Tanjiro thought about it for a moment. He'd barely eaten today at all. He skipped breakfast since he thought he would just puke it back up, and he only ate a couple of rice balls to not make Kanao worry. Both of them were very aware of each other's well-being.

"Let's get some food first, Kanao. I'm hungry."

"Sounds good. What would you like?"

"Tanjiro looked around at the nearby food stalls. It took him a while to choose because most of them were either too greasy or just desserts.

"Ouhh, how about takoyaki?"

(Takoyaki is a ball-shaped Japanese snack made of a wheat flour-based batter and cooked in a specially molded pan. It is typically filled with minced or diced octopus, tempura scraps, pickled ginger, and green onion, and topped with sauce, mayonnaise, seaweed, and bonito flakes)

"Good choice!"

They both walked up to the food stall and talked with the cook behind it.

"Two servings of takoyaki, please."

"Comin' right up!"

They both waited a couple of minutes before receiving the food. Tanjiro paid and they both walked off. He popped one of the takoyaki balls in his mouth. He gasped at how tasty they were.

"Mmm! Wow, these are good! Kanao try one before it gets cold."

She also popped one in her mouth. The sweet but savory flavor overjoyed her.

"Your right! It's good!"

Both of them enjoyed their hot meal while smiling and talking the entire way.

. . .

Half an hour later they both were looking for a game stall to play. Most of them were quite similar so they both agreed to play Kingyo-sukui.

(Kingyo-sukui is a traditional Japanese game in which a player tries to catch goldfish with a fragile paper net from a large tank)

They both walked up to the stall and Tanjiro bought a few paper scoops. He handed a couple to Kanao for her to try. She knelt down and carefully put the scoop in the water. She let a goldfish swim right above her scoop, and then she lifted it up carefully. But the fish wasn't having any of it. It thrashed around and broke the paper, splashing back into the water.