Chapter 13 ~ Icy Ginger Ale

A deep pain between my ribs wakes me. I roll over to see if Cameron is next to me. He's not.

As the pain overtakes me, I wish nothing more than to be at home in the comfort of my privacy. I do not realize that Cameron is in the closet, a few feet from the bed so I let out a loud groan, thinking no one will hear me.

"Darling?" he bursts into the room urgently. "What's wrong, baby?"

"My stomach hurts," I grip my abdomen and take big breaths.

"Really? Why could that be?" he lays down behind me and puts his hand on my stomach. "Is it your time of the month?"

"No, it isn't," I wheeze.

"What does it feel like?"

"Like I can't breathe."

Cameron lays me on my back and unfolds my arms from my stomach. "Take a deep breath, Alexa, I'm going to press on various areas of your stomach, ok?"

I take a huge breath as he begins to press his fingers in gently, "Tell me where it hurts."

He reaches the area between my ribs and I let out a grunt, "Right there."

Cameron withdraws his hands and cups my face, kissing my forehead softly, "We'll get this taken care of today."

I feel embarrassed. I'm supposed to be stronger than this.

"Did something happen?" he then puts his head under my head and lifts me to cradle me in his arms like a baby.

I think for a while until it occurs to me.

I must have hurt myself when I fell over the railing at Paul's.

"I fell carelessly yesterday."

He chuckles as he looks down at me with sincerity, "When and where?"

"At Paul's house last night. We were playing around and Zoe pushed me and I fell over their loft railing. I almost fell to the main floor."

"Alexa," he says almost sternly but still with compassion. "Your friends are in their twenties and you're roughhousing like children? What if you had actually fallen and broken all your bones?"

"We're not serious people when we get together," I say weakly as I lay back in his arms, to stretch my stomach. I put my arms above my head and continue to groan.

"I'm not mad, honey, but did you stay as sober as I hoped you would?"

"Am I really not going to be allowed to get drunk in this relationship?"

"Of course you may, but you need to ask first. And I told you not to last night so we could enjoy this Sunday together. Now, did you drink more than you let on?"

"No, sir, I promise!" I protest.

It was the honest truth.

"Okay, baby, I believe you. Now lay down, I'll bring you your coffee."

After drinking coffee in bed together and conversing to keep me distracted from my pain, I ask, "Well, is it time for brunch?"

We had a reservation for one of the hottest spots in town, "No, Alexa, we're going to let you rest."

Before I can refuse, he disappears behind the door. When he returns with a glass of icy ginger ale, a piece of buttered toast, and a pill, I say, "Thank you for the toast, but I promise I don't need to rest."

"Oh your pain just magically disappeared, did it?"

"No, but-"

His eyes narrow. "Let's make a deal. You're going to sleep once you eat and take your pill and then we'll go to whichever restaurant you like for lunch."