Chapter 25: Dilemma

(Image is of the arena of Themyscira)

"How was it?" Chazen asked as we were riding through the fields on kangaroos and horses. Themyscira had horses as transportation animals but what the rest of the world did not know was that we also had Kangaroos that also served as both domestic and transportation animals. Diana personally had one who had the name, 'Jumpa' which she loved very deeply.

We were riding the animals after I went back to Chazen and Helena and asked them to go out for a run. I could not make decision right now, regarding the Queen's offer, but I knew Chazen had to know his place and the conditions for staying here in Themyscira. I felt like it was better to tell him as soon as possible than wait for the possibility of him being surprised by any circumstance coming unexpectedly.

We stopped at a small clearing with trees surrounding it. I climbed down my kangaroo and Chazen came down the horse. I patted the Kangaroo away to leave but Chazen tied his horse on a tree.

"Chazen," I started. "The Queen wanted to say that although her promise to open Themyscira to us as sanctuary still stands, she cannot grant any immunity however when the kingdoms of Atlantis... decide to come here to escort you back as their prince." I said the last phrase as quickly as I could, not wanting to fight the feeling of wanting to simply leave and just avoid telling him altogether.

"What?" He said, dumbfounded.

"I tried to protest," I reasoned. "But I was told that when it came to choice, she did not want to risk any more conflict with surrounding kingdoms by withholding their royals."

"So, I can't really stay here, huh?" He said, laughing a bit before pursuing his lips. "I was kind of aware this could never truly be sanctuary, Epione."

That made me look at him questioningly. He looked at the flowers and picked one. "I am a prince, hiding away from his kingdom and responsibilities. Not many monarchs have respect for that." He said, twirling the flower.

"I'm only staying here because, well," He paused for a bit before looking at me. "because of you." He shrugged his shoulders.

"So, whatever happens, I'll stay here as long as you need me to before I have to leave." He said, as he removed a lock of my hair and put the flower on my ear.

"It's only a matter of time before I get discovered again, Epione. I am far aware of that." He added, looking into my eyes.

"Where will you go by then?" I asked.

"I don't know." He said, looking away. "I may just hide again in the surface world, not wanting to live as the 'stuck-up prince with tons of responsibilities'". He joked.

"But if the need to save my people rises again, I may have to step up and fill in the shoes." He said seriously. He kissed my cheek before preparing his horse, mounting it and leaving me in the meadow to watch him ride back to town.

"How can I ever tell him now?" I whispered to myself. I wanted to tell him something I have been feeling recently, something budding inside me that simply wants to grow.

After my talk with Chazen, I did not really want to expose myself to any more people. I wanted to release the huge burden put on my shoulders, I wanted to let go of sorrow and pent up emotions inside of me. I wanted release. And that release can only be attained by one of the things that I have learned to love growing up on Themyscira, combat.

I went into the arena where gladiators were having battles, all focused on showing off their brute strength, flexible agility, great endurance and intelligent strategies. When one watches a gladiator battle among the Amazons, they are sure to be filled with awe. I entered the area where the gladiators were preparing before battle.