Chapter 2: The First Breath

(Picture above is what Epione sees on the surface. Enjoy!)

Darkness. Void. Nothing. I was shrouded in darkness. I had no idea what happened to me, but I was simply floating adrift in the pitch-black darkness I have dipped in. Where am I? What happened?

I don't remember much. The last thing I remembered was being hit by the roof's boulders and then fainting. There was nothing I could remember beyond that. Where are my sisters? What happened to the demon pests from the other world? What happened to the mother box?

Then suddenly, I remembered how Steppenwolf escaped the dome as it fell, along with my sisters and I, then chased the Queen for the mother box. The Queen should be able to escape, somehow. My sisters know what to do by then, they know their duties. What had happened?

"Why am I remembering all of this?" I asked myself. I looked around and started to see a slither of light from above. I opened my eyes slowly only to see everything wobbled and blurry. It was all dark but there just a small piercing glimmer of light from above and it was covered by an azure hue.

I started to realize then that I was at sea, under the sea. I was still alive. And another realization shocked me to my core; I was breathing.

-------

"How in Hades am I still breathing?" I thought to myself as I tried to move and wiggle my arms. My wound was not as painful as I expected it to be in sea water. I slowly touched my gunshot wound and was shocked to find that I could not feel any more pain there.

I moved my arms and legs and tried to swim upwards, but my body still felt quite heavy. I forced my hands and legs to an upward motion swim, but my body still couldn't handle going up. I sighed and bubbles came out of my mouth, and I covered it only to realize I'm actually still breathing underwater. I can breathe underwater. Like a damned fish.

Fish... Fish... Fish!

I had an idea that maybe I could swim up the surface if I swam like a fish. I straightened my feet like a fishtail and moved my body in a wave-like motion as I raised my arms to reach the surface. It worked. Thank Hera, it worked. Thank the goddesses, it worked!

I struggled as I swam up the surface because of the long distance the surface is to where I was drifting underneath the water. I swam and swam, nearing the surface by only a few feet and started to let my feet go and swam normally up the surface-level. I reached beyond the water and raised my headfirst above my body.

"Uah!" I gasped for air and coughed out a tremendous amount of sea water back where it came from. I even vomited several times to release the water I could still in my body. I wiped my face and eyes from the salty water to look at where I am clearly.

The sun was shining dimly from the clouds surrounding it. The sky was gray and ash-colored, but the wind was not moving fast, indicating there was no storm to come. I looked around and noticed that I was nowhere near an island or body of land for miles. I was already out of the borders of Themyscira, it is hidden from all beings beyond its shores so I had no clue how to get back. I was starting to panic.

"Oh, dear Hera." I sighed as I tried to swim afloat from the current I was in. I tried to swim towards a direction, but I keep on getting caught by the sea waves and keep getting pushed back under. It wasn't working.

I can't keep fighting the current like this. It would drain much of my energy from simply trying stay afloat. I need to find a way to leave this place. However, how can I do that when I have no idea how to move from the waves?

I looked around, thinking on how to move forward. I looked up and then down. Blessed be the gods; I can still breathe underwater. I might be able to do that. I still tried to resist the idea but as I looked around where I am, I had no other viable option.

I let my hands and legs relax. I slowly started to sink back into the ocean. As my body slowly did not feel the wind of the sea and my chest felt the heaviness of the water, one thought was circulating in my head. The water swallowed me slowly until it fully immersed my head under. My eyes looked straight into the horizon and my will became more absolute.

After I escape from this abyss in nowhere, I'm looking for my sisters.