~ XXII ~

Blake

Shutting the door behind me, I let my gaze wander over my bedroom. It looked exactly the same as it had the last time I was here.

A dresser set along one wall with a set of drawers next to it, a couple of nightstands on either side of the large bed and a door that led to my own bathroom. I'd spent many steamy nights in here with Amaya, shared my bed with many other vampires, slept on my own or sat on the floor and chatted with Gabriel. Yet, the only person I really wanted in this room right now was miles away in the city.

Reaching for my phone as I leaned against the door, I glanced at the time, noticing it was the early hours of the morning. Cameron should still be awake now. Right?

I mean, I'd just seen him. Plus, he worked nights and slept during the day. He was used to being awake at this time. Just because tonight was his night off didn't mean he would be asleep.

Right?

I sighed. I'd been stalking him for a while now and I still didn't know too much about his routine.

Pulling up Cameron's name on my phone, my finger hesitated over the call button. I wanted to hear his voice, but I didn't want to come across as pushy. Overbearing. A stalker.

Or shall I call him in the morning? But he would be at work tomorrow, so we wouldn't have much time to talk.

So, if I wanted to talk to him, now would be the best time. He would have time to talk right now, wouldn't he.

But would he want to speak to me? Would he still be feeling freaked out by Lance?

That fucking asshole.

I watched as my finger hovered over his name, still unsure whether I should call him. Earlier, Dad had almost convinced me to invite him over to meet them all. It would happen eventually, but did I want to do it before or after I told him what I was? I needed his trust first. He needed to understand that no matter what I was, I would never hurt him. He shouldn't ever feel scared of me.

So I had to play the long game. Earn his confidence the old fashioned way. I had to treat him right, keep showing up for him. Show him that he could rely on me, that I wanted to be with him, that I wasn't going to leave him.

And just when he started to open up to me, I could drop my bombshell.

Fuck.

What a shit plan.

Shaking my head, I walked over to my bed and sat on the edge, holding my phone tightly, my eyes on Cameron's name.

Would he believe me when I told him what I was? Would he laugh at me? Would he think I was crazy?

There was the chance that he would think all three of those statements.

And then I could lose him. Forever.

A knock at my door pulled me from my thoughts. I threw my phone on my bed and ran a hand down my face.

"Yeah?"

The door opened as I spun around and Amaya's red head popped through the gap.

"Hey, Blake." She smiled at me as she opened the door wider, stepping into my room.

"Hey, Amaya." I offered her a tired smile, a little relieved that I'd had my dark thoughts interrupted.

"Sage said you were back." She shut the door behind her, walked over and sat down next to me on the bed. "Just wondered how you were." She tucked a lock of red hair behind her ear and beamed at me.