~ XVI ~

Cameron

I watched Blake walk casually along the walkway, a swagger to his hips pulling my eyes to his cute ass.

His very cute ass.

Even in the darkness, I could make out the rounded lines of his firm cheeks tucked nicely into his jeans as he sauntered along.

Damn.

A sharp shove to my ribs caused me to spin away from the open window and turn to frown at Rosie.

She was almost jumping up and down, a big smile lighting up her pretty face. She clapped a little.

"Oh my god!" She practically squealed at me. "Cameron! He's so cute!"

Yes, he was.

But there was no need to go all silly over him.

He was just a guy.

One guy.

One guy who I had a date with.

Fuck.

I had a date.

The realisation set in and I felt a cold shiver wash over me.

I hadn't been on a date in ...

Wait. When was the last time I'd had a date?

Last week? Last month?

Shit.

Was it last year?

Why the hell did I agree to a date? I didn't date. I never dated. I hated dating. So why change my mind now? Why the fuck did I say yes?

I wiped a hand across my eyes as I mentally scolded myself.

Rosie. That was why I'd said yes to Blake. She'd nudged me into it.

Damn.

This was all her fault.

I went to run a hand through my hair but stopped, conscious of brushing my hair away from my forehead, revealing the nasty scar underneath. Instead, I rubbed my hand across my face, and over my hair, making sure it covered the deformed skin.

Rosie was still hopping all over the place, making high-pitched noises and clapping her hands. Anyone would think it was her going on a date with Blake.

This was a woman who was studying law and politics at university so that she could go out into the world, to stand up and fight for equal rights for black women. Yet here she was, acting like a teenage girl, giggling, blushing and squealing.

I didn't understand her.

Honestly.

In fact, I didn't understand any woman. All women were strange.

I shook my head as I closed the window, allowing the air conditioning to get back to work and cool me down. I felt hot all of a sudden. Heat was creeping up my face, down my neck, along my back.

"Oh my god, Cameron!" Rosie squealed again. "He's gorgeous! And he asked you out!"

"So?" I tried to sound nonchalant, even as my heart beat wildly in my chest. "It's your fault."

She scoffed as she skipped over to me and clutched my arm. "What's my fault? That you have a date?" She rolled her eyes at me. "You should be thanking me."

I shrugged, not sure where she was going with this. "What?"

"For getting you a date with that hot guy!" She giggled, gripping my arm tighter. "He's so much better looking than Tate," she gushed, a blush forming over her cheeks.