~ XXI ~

Blake

As much as I wanted to punch Lance Blackwell in the face, the tingling sensation in my stomach at feeling Cameron's lips on mine overtook that thought.

I had kissed a guy.

And I liked it.

Fuck.

Feeling a smile on my lips as I stepped out into the warm city street outside Cameron's apartment building, I glanced around, expecting the son of the Blackwell clan to materialise next to me and knock the smile off my face.

I wouldn't put it past that asshole.

Earlier, I had known there was something up with Cameron the moment I walked to the other side of the roof. Honestly, I hadn't wanted to leave his side, but he had been worried, his heart had been beating nervously, and I didn't want him to feel like that around me. I wanted him to feel happy, content, peaceful. So I'd walked away, to give him a little space, to let him calm down, and gather his thoughts.

Knowing a little about his upbringing, the shit he'd had to put up with his whole life ... he was probably used to feeling unsure around strangers. Including me.

I didn't want to be a stranger to him. I wanted to be so much more.

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair. I'd heard Cameron's heart beating to a different pace once I'd left him on the roof, so I had to go back to check on him. And I couldn't believe that Lance was there, taunting him.

Fucking dickhead.

Just wait till I saw that idiot Lance next time ...

Although I tried not to let anything that Lance had said get to me, I did want to ask Cameron what Lance meant when he talked about Cameron's marks. I knew he hadn't been touched by another vampire - I would be able to tell. But there was something in the way that Lance had said it ...

He was probably saying it just to wind me up.

Jackass.

Shaking my head in an effort to try to shift Lance out of my mind, I looked up at the night sky, taking comfort in the darkness. The city continued to buzz in activity around me as I stood there, reliving my time with Cameron in my head, unable to keep the big grin off my face.

He looked so cute tonight, in his hoodie and jeans. The material hid that beautiful body of his. I'd only ever seen his muscular back when he did his laundry in the basement of his apartment building, but that sight had been enough to leave me panting.

Shit. I wanted to see him again.

If only Lance hadn't interrupted tonight ...

Fucking idiot.

Running a hand down my face, I took a deep breath. There were still a few hours before sunrise, and with nothing else to do, I decided to go back home. I hadn't seen my parents for a few days and I thought I'd better check in with them.

Before I did, though, I reached into my pocket, grabbing my phone and pressing the button to dial Gabriel's number.

"Hey man," Gabriel greeted, with a smile in his voice. "What shit have I got to rescue you from tonight?"

I frowned at his words, although I couldn't deny he had hit the mark. "I got a favour to ask."

"That seems to be the only reason you speak to me these days." He sighed. "What can I do?"

"Can you watch over Cameron? I want to go back home."

"Cameron?" I could almost see Gabriel roll his eyes. "He's a big boy, Blake. Can't he look after himself?"